Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
External USB drive for Central Repository for Photos?
Mar 30, 2005, 16:32
Now that my wife is studying part time, she almost exclusively works on the desktop PC at home, leaving me with my work laptop to use. Big Grin

Problem is, all my photos are on my desktop PC, and I don't want to have duplicate copies lying around all over the place.

Do you think a External USB drive would be a good idea for a "central repository" for photos, so I can just access all the photos in once place, and take the drive with me to whatever computer I'm working on? Any problems with reliability?

Or should I stop being a geek and just make it a network drive, and work off that? I won't have my photos with me when I'm not in the house though...

Any suggestions?

Minigizmo - Gadget News and Reviews
BookHoot - Ebook News
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Mar 30, 2005, 17:15
I've had my external Buslink drive for two years with absolutely no mechanical problems. It was a bit of a pain to set up on my old PC with Win-98, but with Win-XP it was plug-and-play. That means it should be highly portable from desktop to laptop if you've got XP on both.

Your other choice would be to set up a wireless network arrangement; you can leave the photos where they are, share the folder where they are stored, and open them on the laptop when you want to edit them. Then you don't have to move the drive around with you.

Better arrangement would be to use both. You'd get the convenience of the wireless network, and when your wife crashes the desktop's hard drive, the photos are safe on the external drive. Cool
Mar 30, 2005, 17:18
P.S. The wireless gear prices have really plunged! An 802.11g router and 54mbps laptop card should each run less than US$50.
Mar 30, 2005, 17:23
I use an external HDD with USB 2 / Firewire connection to store all my photos.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Mar 30, 2005, 17:35
Wow, that's cheap, slej!

I've already got a wireless network at home, so yeah - mebbe I'll just do that for the time being.

Still interested in a external HDD though... perhaps for backup purposes Big Grin

Minigizmo - Gadget News and Reviews
BookHoot - Ebook News
Mar 30, 2005, 19:04
The external cases with both Firewire and USB 2.0 are only $100-120 and a 80Gig can be had for less than $100.

I have a X's drive with a 40Gig drive that I can also use or I write to a CD or DVD re-writeable to use on another PC.
Mar 31, 2005, 03:31
Hey Pete, how fast is the down/upload to the X's drive, compared to a standard external USB2 hard drive?
Mar 31, 2005, 03:41
It uses a 5,400rpm laptop drive, that is the faster of the available drives, the slower ones ar 4,200rpm.

Certainly not that much slower.
Mar 31, 2005, 04:00
Just did a quick test and it took one minute and twelve seconds to transfer 254megs of images to the drive and about three seconds to delete them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The 71 Most Incredibly Timed Photos! Jeffbridge 0 833 Nov 24, 2014 07:27
Last Post: Jeffbridge
  Panoramic photos MBS 2 520 Oct 16, 2014 07:23
Last Post: MBS
  How do you organize your photos? shuttercloud 2 441 Oct 12, 2014 11:31
Last Post: WesternGuy
  How to Take Impressive Photos of the Moon Jeffbridge 0 706 Oct 5, 2014 04:03
  Photos in exchange for name credit. Would you take it? shuttercloud 4 319 Sep 24, 2014 00:37
Last Post: EdMak
  Would you trust your photos on a 512GB SD? shuttercloud 9 650 Sep 15, 2014 19:52
Last Post: shuttercloud
  14 Tips You Need to Know, To Quickly Improve your photos Jeffbridge 0 698 Sep 10, 2014 01:16
  Poorly Exposed Photos? 11 Ways to Master Exposure Jeffbridge 0 1,355 Aug 30, 2014 22:38
  51 Must See Historic Photos Jeffbridge 6 1,429 Mar 9, 2014 00:59
Last Post: kNox
  Still Life Photos czkid 8 1,394 Oct 9, 2013 03:28
Last Post: Korry