Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fashion Show: GF-1 with Manual Focus Lenses

As Zig says, this site has been a great extended review of the M43 cameras. I recently purchased an adapter so that I could use my Nikon D and F lenses with my Panasonic GF-1. I haven't gotten yet to the point where I can review the various lenses for performance and image quality - but at least I have established what looks "good" on the GF-1 and what looks stupid.

So - without further ado - on with the fashion show....

Last Place: the Nikon 12-24 F4.0

[Image: Nikon1224.jpg]

This lens has an awkward look on the camera. It doesn't feel bad - but it looks the least good of any of the legacy lenses IMO. Also - the converted range of 24-48 is not a particularly interesting range - especially not with the 20mm F1.7 (40mm equiv) in the stable.

5th Prize: Nikon 18-200 VR F3.5-5.6

[Image: 17_Nikon18200.jpg]

The 18-200 (my favorite SLR go-to lens) doesn't look much better than the 12-24 - but with an equivalent working range of 36-400, it will undoubtedly reamin one of the major workhorses of the team.

4th Prize: Tamron90mm F2.8 Macro

[Image: 19_Tamron.jpg]

Long and thin with very nice gold details. I expect to use this combo a lot.

3rd Prize: Nikon 80-200 F2.8

[Image: 83_Nikon80200.jpg]

I expected to hate this lens / camera combination - but it is oddly charming. You absolutely can't hold this by the camera body - it puts way too much torque on the lens mount, but as a tripod-mounted 160-400 F2.8 solution with pro quality glass, it is a cracker. It looks way better than I expected.

2nd Place: Nikon 24-85 F3.5-4.5

[Image: 96_Nikon2485.jpg]

Smaller than most of my lenses - and with an interesting 48-170 equiv range, I expect the 24-85 to do a fair bit of time on the GF-1

1st Prize: GF-1 with 20mm F1.7 and Helios Optical Viewfinder

[Image: Panny20.jpg]

Who wouldn't want to take this adorable little moppet home? So cute - so functional - sweet!

I quite agree: that Helios is the icing on the cake.
I'm reasonably sure I've shot zombies in Half Life 2 on some of the rest....Smile
I'm extremely taken with the idea of the Nikon 80-200 on it, and particularly interested in how the long end fares.
I remember Matthew once saying something about the "experience" of m43: I'd guess that creating not just images but aesthetic permutations of combos is very much part of this gestalt?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig Wrote:I quite agree: that Helios is the icing on the cake.
I'm reasonably sure I've shot zombies in Half Life 2 on some of the rest....Smile
I'm extremely taken with the idea of the Nikon 80-200 on it, and particularly interested in how the long end fares.
I remember Matthew once saying something about the "experience" of m43: I'd guess that creating not just images but aesthetic permutations of combos is very much part of this gestalt?
The Helios is a sweet looking thing on the GF-1 - and it is an excellent workaround for the bright sunlight visibility issue that I have complained about (even while wearing polarized sunglasses). Lots of my friends have asked me why I use the Helios when I also own the EVF. It is largely an aesthetic thing - the whole rangefinder Leica-lite gestalt of the GF-1 (with Helios) appeals to me in a serious way. The Helios is also quite a bit smaller than the EVF and so it fits nicely in the shoulder pouch I typically use. I use it only with the auto-focus 20mm, and as I completely trust the superb AF of the GF-1, it is a perfect addition to my street rig both visually and functionally. Of course, it has the same parallax issues at close range that rangefinders have always had.

Glad to see someone else here enjoyed Half Life 2.

...and yes, the 80-200 was the surprise of the fashion show. Who would ever have expected that combo to look as good as it does?

The amount of time you have taken deserves a plaudit. Thank you for this.
Does the evf come with the camera, or is it extra. (or should I look at the specs.) :/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:The amount of time you have taken deserves a plaudit. Thank you for this.
Does the evf come with the camera, or is it extra. (or should I look at the specs.) :/
Thanks - it is extra.

Very nice collection - and who doesn't love the occasional display of unabashed camera pr0n?

I'm very interested to hear how your adapter performs, and what you think of it in practice.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Very nice Toad. Looking good.
Don't forget to tell us how the lenses perform and how you feel about the full manual control... Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

That setup looks absolutely sweet Toad.. (wipes drool from mouth)

How does the Helios compare with the viewfinder from a DSLR? I have the impression that you would feel less like "looking down a tunnel". Does it provide any magnification at all, or is it basically just a framing guide? By the way, is it a third party accessory?

shuttertalk Wrote:That setup looks absolutely sweet Toad.. (wipes drool from mouth)

How does the Helios compare with the viewfinder from a DSLR? I have the impression that you would feel less like "looking down a tunnel". Does it provide any magnification at all, or is it basically just a framing guide? By the way, is it a third party accessory?
It is primarily a framing device with negligible magnification and is a third party device made in Russia. It has 3 sets of bright lines for 35mm, 85mm and 135mm - the 35 marks are almost spot on the 20mm's field of view.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post