Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fireworks from above

As I may have mentioned, I've recently moved into a high-rise on the edge of Toronto's downtown core. Being sixteen stories up gives me a great view, and this last weekend I had a new perspective on the small fireworks displays being set off by families across the city. Here are my three favourites.

[Image: piers-070521_5218640-web.jpg]

[Image: piers-070521_5218645-web.jpg]

[Image: piers-070521_5218655-web.jpg]

Even though these are long exposures (10, 30, and 15 seconds respectively) they miss more pyrotechnics than they capture. Smaller displays that I could see were just too faint to be picked up in the twilight. It was an amazing sight.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Matthew, these are brilliant. I live on the 21st floor, and had a similar view (Jarvis and Maitland area). I didn't even attempt to take photos, (havn't had much luck with night photography). It's really cool seeing another persons view of the city.

"A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of." – Ogden Nash

All are great night pictures Matthew...
I like specially the first one because of the colors of the sky, but all are really nice.

Beautiful view of the city as well... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Great photos!

Very cool. Must have been a great show to see them going off in all directions.

I remember living in Alice Springs as a child and having similar events where families bought up heaps of fireworks... great memories.
Its illegal to light any fireworks where I live now...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Craig, it's good to see you around. Your view is probably even better than mine, but this was something I'd never expected. I heard the sound of the fireworks, but didn't go to look. I had gotten used to living at ground level.

Irma, thanks; the colour in the first is how the scene appeared, the other two are tweaked using the Tungsten white balance. I struggled a lot with the colour, since I liked the sky in the first but didn't like the strong yellow glow from the lights. I've included the second image with the 'as shot' WB, which is accurate for the sky.

Keith, thanks.

Smarti, I wish these photos did the scene justice. Not only were the fireworks stretched across the skyline, but they kept going for longer than I could stand outside. It wasn't as spectacular as a major municipal display, but the sheer expanse of the celebrations more than made up for it.

[Image: piers-070521_5218645-wehi.jpg]

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Fabulous Mat - I can imagine how wonderful it must have looked.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Russt
Jan 2, 2007, 00:02