Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Flower

This tri colour Pansy ( Peter??) is the first to flower this year here in Calgary... It bloomed and was instantly hit with a two inch fall of snow that then melted the next day and it survived. Shots taken on overcast blustery day at ground level. The flower is about 1" diameter and is amongst a rockery. It was never planted by us...
Taken on Canon 1D MklV, Canon 100mm Macro, 1/80th at F8. ISO 200. Only post applied - slight cropping otherwise as taken

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Almost touchable. Ed.

To each his own!

Looks like a pansy to me, nice capture and surprised it survived the snow, not usually very hardy.

very interesting, great set

Superb images of the Pansy, Rolf. So popular in gardens and planters here in the UK.

The Pansy is a division within the genus Viola; unfortunately the precise definition with reference to form is confusing due to intense breeding for commercial purposes which has resulted in much variation.
I'm sure your image is not of a naturally wild species, more likely to be the result of seed dispersal from a garden cultivar. Also, because of the small flower size I would suggest a Viola rather than a Pansy.

Photography is a never-ending journey

Great shot! You can even see the polen on one of the petals in the first shot!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post