Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Photograph Sale!!!

Yay!

I was asked to take a 2nd year leavers photo of the Princess and Pirates party at my daughters infant school.

The picture was taken 2 weeks ago and was a great learning experience for me.

The first thing I learnt was that my cameras onboard flash isn't worth a *&$% so much so that I have bought a lovely new flashgub (Pentax AF-360FGZ)

My wife (Who one must NEVER argue with and is chair of the PTA) had decided where the picture would be taken - even after my objection as to the sun being in a very nasty place at the time 2:30 PM (Sun sitting at 10AM as you look at the shot) - Luckily I had bought my anti-glare device for my lens.

Next lesson was - do not get the kids to SHOUT! you generally end up with a shot of cardboard swords covering princesses faces, lots of closed eyes and open mouths.

Luckily I got there about 15 mins early so got to play with my EV settings - although I am a little confused as to the best use I am no longer frightened to try it!

If I were to take the same shot again I would use a tall tripod and a step ladder.

So out of potentially 50 kids family's I have sold 25 copies - All profits going to the PTA - Yeah I wouldn't charge them for my time!

But money wouldn't have been as great a reward as the experience!

It may not be the best school photo ever but it's a start!!

Ray

[Image: 66_small.jpg]

Nikon F55, Pentax K100D, Panasonic Lumix FZ20, Olympus OM1.
Darkroom Dweller.

aren't they gorgeous!

As a tip I would get you to gather some assistance from the mothers to use a reflector. You can use a silver car windscreen thingy to lift the light on the faces on the kids in the shade.

It is a great candid shot and it is hard with mixed light.

School photographers would have probably have moved the kids to a place with a blank back wall so the background did not distract the viewer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Jan 25, 2016, 04:55