Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First shots with my tilt/shift lens

My first outing with an Arsat 35mm f/2.8 tilt/shift lens on my 30D.

I discuss the lens in This Thread.

[Image: ST_IMG_7771.jpg]
1. The obligatory "miniature cars" shot that everyone with a tilt/shift lens just has to take!

[Image: ST_IMG_7779.jpg]
2. Taken from the same overpass as shot #1, this is a jetty on the Swan River beside the freeway.

[Image: ST_IMG_7800.jpg]
3. I was experimenting with Shift to get this apartment block straight, and right on cue a lone kid appeared on his bike.

[Image: ST_IMG_7876.jpg]
4. My favourite shot of the day - this is the kind of shot I wanted this lens for. The boat shed at Matilda Bay and my attempt to make it look something like the home of a character from a children's book.

I have photoshopped three of those shots, but I was only playing with the exposure and colouring of them. The detail and OOF (out of focus) areas are all exactly as they came from the camera.
This lens will take a fair bit of practice to master I think, and some careful thought about when and how to use it appropriately.
Looks like lots of fun ahead of me!

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

have read about these lenses - they are awesome Smile and Welcome Back

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

These are very impressive.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Excellent shots, and a great wrtieup aswell.

The first 2 shots, look almost like minatures. I love the effect.

Thanx for sharing this.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Hey Adrian, welcome back! Good to see you around and thanks for sharing those pics.

Like Paul - I was quite amazed at the first two pics - they look like scale models or something. Very cool effect!

#3 as well is cool - the vertical lines are straight as they should be!

Great to see you again.

It just so happens that I've been daydreaming about a T/S recently. Thanks for the information, and you're not doing anything to help my bank accounts' health. I'd love to hear more about this lens.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks all.

It's a lot of fun to use, and certainly makes me slow down and think carefully about the shot I'm taking.
I haven't had another chance to get out and take some more shots yet, but when I do I'll be sure to post them.

Regarding the miniatures, I've got a few shots in my head I can't wait to try out when I get a chance...
But the main reason I bought this lens was to get more control of the DOF and OOF areas in my photos in a more general sense.

Below shows a more traditional use of the tilt function to control the plane of focus.
In this case I tilted the lens to the right slightly, which tilts the plane of focus to follow the thylacine's body (so the further left in the frame, the further back the focus point is). The result is that the Thylacine is completely in focus at f/2.8 while its surroundings are completely out of focus. With a normal 35mm lens at f/2.8 and this distance, you'd be lucky to get the whole head in focus.

[Image: ST_IMG_7693.jpg]

Adrian Broughton

Great shots Kombi, good to see you round again....I am enjoying these shots!

#'s 1, 2 & 4 very Cool I wish the top of the building in #4 was not cut off......but it would still be my fav..... love the bird, great timming

tilt shift hmmmmm Rolleyes

Welcome back Kombi!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

Looks so useful to have one of these lenses! I think I've had enough of buildings all bending up!

Great use of reverse tilt too, for that 'miniture' effect! Super cool!

The 3rd and 4th shots are definitely very impressive - for the way that they correct perspective. Nice demo!

Thanks guys Big Grin

Adrian Broughton

Usual outstanding quality Adrian and great to see you around here again.

Canon stuff.

As usual mate, raising the bar. You have really developed your eye to see and capture the "decisive moments" that most folks miss. Stunning exemplars of your eye and control; (I notice several of the gang have accumulated much kit over the months, whereas they'd be best off studying your work to be honest)..mind you, I'm not sure the T+S is the right vehicle for a couple of these. The kid on the bike is, though: brilliant!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Awesome thanks for sharing the review....love the idea of a 35mm tilt shift lens Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Apr 27, 2017, 04:16
Last Post by Vanisle John
Oct 15, 2016, 10:53