Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fishing

I went to the lake yesterday and I saw this scene. I was so happy to have found those kinds fishing. I had a 400mm so I didn't mind much that they were far, I thought I could get a descent composition anyway. I tried several arrangements with my elements and the one I think I like the most because tries to express what I want is this one.

I placed the kids in the far corner to give the idea of the magnitud of the place in relation with them. The light was not so good for the picture, but still I thought I could work my colors and make the picture shine. Pity because I have tried a lot and I haven't come up with a good color version. I tried then, a bw picture as I think the messange is strong enough.

I see good points in my picture but possibly it might have been improved. That is why I posted it here.

Thanks very much for your comments.

[Image: IMG_3995-Edit.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma, as always, I love your photos and I do like this one. I like the gentleness that you bring to your photos. In this one I think you may have gone too far and the 2 boys are submerking into the background a bit. I would make them stand out more, perhaps by localy increasing blacks and/or contrast, The heads are particularly not distingct enough for me. P

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Thanks a lot Pavel for your advice. I think you are right the heads are exactly at the same level as the strip of light in the water. Things I never see when I take pictures.... I will see what to do... Wink

Paul Cezanne

Hey Irma,

I'm thinking I would prefer a color version possibly, as the autumn colors are just magnificent right now.
You said it did not work for you, would you mind showing one?

Cheers, Uli

Irma, I was thinking along the same lines as Uli. For the most part, I like this shot and understand what you are wanting to convey with it. I was wondering if a color version would make the boys stand out just a little bit more. Have you tried any more working on a color version?

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." ~ Dorothea Lange

Here is my color version of the picture.... :|

[Image: IMG_3995-Edit-2.jpg]

for those wondering whether they were successful or not.... Yes!! The got a big fish!! Smile

[Image: IMG_4102.jpg]

I am so sad to have been so far to record closer the whole story... still it will bring memories anyway.... Wink

Thanks so much for your helpful comments, I really appreciate it.

Paul Cezanne

Dear Irma,

I think, if you want to spend more time on this at all, I would probably try to work with the color version.
get rid of some of the highlights in the surface of the water and emphasize the colors in the trees, plus the lines
given by the reed at the rear banks of the lake.
or else, you could use a semi-BW, desaturate the colors and then give the picture back a hint of the red in the trees .....

Cheers, Uli

Thanks Uli,

I will keep it maybe one day in winter I have time to work on it... Wink

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
May 22, 2016, 14:35
Last Post by matthew
Oct 18, 2008, 09:02
Last Post by Toad
Nov 27, 2006, 22:34