Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flare

A snap of Jemima standing in the doorway (to the balcony)

Strobe camera right, with a 83cm translucent umbrella.

D2x+50mm/1,8 Iso:100 1/250S F/13

[Image: js.jpg]

Tell me what you think, good or bad.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:Tell me what you think, good or bad.
Well, for one thing, I'll re-state how unfair it is that you're surrounded by such photogenic people. She has a great expression and I really like her pose.

The flare is interesting. I'm not against flare, noise, or vignetting, and it can really add to the photo if it's used well. In this case I'm undecided. It's certainly used well, but it's a harsh reminder that I'm looking at a photograph, and comes as a barrier that stops me from connecting with the subject in the way that those eyes deserve. By reminding me that it's a photo, I'm reminded that it's the photographer, not me as the viewer, that has that relationship.

I'm assuming that the flare and washed-out sky comes from the sun being just outside the frame in the TR corner? If so, I'm wondering if you used anything for fill to camera-left. And was there was a tree nearby camera-left? She's picked up a faint green cast to the shadow near her right ear. It may be ghosting from an A/R coating, in which case I'd guess that this photo is cropped... or perhaps I just need to calibrate my monitor more often.

I really appreciate seeing something different and a little experimental. The photo works, and I've enjoyed looking at it.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanx Matthew.

The flare is indeed from the sun in the top right corner just outside the frame.The strobe is set half a stop above the blue sky. Cropped the top of the photo (the balcony above us didnt look to good)

I didnt use any fill camera, left. No trees but a few bigger plants to her left. Probebly the coating.

I hear what your are saying, the flare does indeed detract from the subject, no matter how good it may look.

The shot was first an attempt to see how much my sb800 could handle when it comes to overpower the blue sky. It didnt do to well, so i resorted to a 400/ws strobe. Surely the sb-800 can/could act as fill, but to have enough power i would have it hit the subject bare with no umbrella and quite close.

Thanx for looking.

/Paul L.

I like your picture a lot Paul, but I am not so sure if I like the flare. Too me looks too hard in the picture.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanx Irma, yes the Flare might be a bit to much for the subject.

Thanx for looking.

/Paul L.

I think you have achieved your goal and her face is well lit. However the flare is so bright it make me want to squint to see her more clearly.
That aside she looks very beautiful in this image.. I like the serious expression and the front on composition. Does she like it?

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Thanx Shane.

Yes she does like it. Cool

The flare is a bit over the top, i better get a hood for my 50mm/1,8D Big Grin

Thanx for looking.

/Paul L.

Hey Paul.

I saw this one for the first time a few days ago, and had nothing ot contribute - that may have had as much to do with my mental state as anything.

Looked at it today - love it. the flare adds a god-like quality to the portrait - totally cerebal. Eyes, of course...the thing I like the best is the wisp of hair across the front of her face - unruly and wonderful...

Thanx Rob Glad you liked it. Jemima is very happy with it.Smile

Thanx for taking the time to comment.

/Paul L.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Irma
Jun 25, 2007, 09:55