Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flowers bw and color.

I took this pictures this afternoon. I didn't work any post processing in photoshop just cropped and worked my colors in lightroom.

[Image: IMG_9704.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9717.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9709.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9731.jpg]

Thanks for looking... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Nice! the colour ones look almost like paintings.

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Very striking. My favourite is the B&W -- they almost look like drawings. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thank you so much for your comments RP and Matt...
I am so happy!!
That was the effect I was after with these pictures. They lack a bit of composition still, but now I can work my image sure that the effect is right!! Smile

Thanks again... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I like the colour in the first one although the pic looks very soft.
The second is sharper but lacks the vibrancy of the first and I find the glass rim a little distracting. I would not know how to change it though.
The B&W are as matthew said, like drawings almost.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

These do have a beautiful watercolor look to them. My favorites are #2 and #3. I like the glass vase showing in #2, and I like that the leaves on the stem are showing in #3.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." ~ Dorothea Lange

Thanks so much for your comments NT, Aine... Smile

NT
My idea was to work a bit with the out of focus part of the flower to give this drawing effect. That is why you might find it soft.

I think there is no way to crop the vase in #2 as it was meant to be in the composition. The thing that comes with a bunch of flowers is that if you include the whole vase there is no much detail of the flowers in the picture and if you leave it completely out, as a viewer you wonder where they were. I thought that includeing just the edge of the vase would give the idea and still have the detail of the flowers.... Smile

Aine, I am happy you liked the watercolor look. I was really just made with strong light and working with the colors... Smile

Paul Cezanne

These are all processing gems. The first and last would be my favs but all excellent.

Thanks so much Toad for your comment... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I didn't mean for you to crop the vase out. It is just the light on the rim of the vase that I didn't like.
Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Very, very good indeed; yes, I pick up Aine-C's comment re the effect: I think this sense of 18th/19th century watercolour is exceptionally captivating...and the "attitude"/composition works well(that vase does annoy me though!Smile). I'm very hard to please as regards flower pics...your technique has done a marvelous job here. I'm also rarely actually inspired as such by peers (or myself), yet I most definitely want to have a go at the sort of thing you have done here. Just as an afterthought, I'm wondering to myself how to go about this in PS...maybe semi-transparent layer of Torn-Paper filter...?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I love the last one Irma - the BW work better than the colour to my eye.

Canon stuff.

Thanks so much Chris for your comment... Smile

Zig, Thanks so much for your comment... Smile

Well I really don't know much about the torn paper filter. I think the effect work best when you have flat light and not hard highlight and shadows. Other thing is that all this pictures were taken in JPG unfortunately. I send my camera to sensor cleaning and they change the setting. I didn't know anything about this I realized they were jpgs only when I open my pictures in LR.

Here is the original, what I did in photoshop and the layers I used and the LR version of the same picture. In photoshop I desaturate first and then I go back to the background and work the rest of the adjustment layers so you can see how they affect your bw contrast.The idea also is to work with the colors of the original picture, I don't know if that is a good idea but to me works well.

Original

[Image: IMG_9695-Edit-2original.jpg]

Photoshop version
[Image: IMG_9695-Editphotoshop.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9695-Editphotoshoplayers.jpg]

Lightroom version.
[Image: IMG_9695-Edit-3LR.jpg]

If you wanted to see original size of any image, just let me know and I would send it to you by mail.

Paul Cezanne

wonderful shots irma!

I like the bw no.2.

in no 1 I could imagine slightly more vibrant colors for the blossom, like the colors in the "orginal" of your latest post.

In no 4 the contrast is slightly too stark for my eyes.

How long did you work on these? they are really well done!

Uli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Feb 20, 2016, 22:59