Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Foggy landscape

We had a foggy morning few weeks ago, I went to the fields and I found this cow and the feeder? I tried to make a composition with the misty landscape behind. In my post processing I desaturate a bit giving a green tone, I enhanced the contrast in the foreground for more detail to the cow and left almost untouch the background. Worked with mask some details to give color...

Thanks so much for your comment or advice... Smile

[Image: IMG_5007-Edit.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I like this one Irma, I have been told there is fog on the farmlands between Port Stephens and Newcastle at this time of the year, however have never been up early enough to see it Big Grin

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

I think the strong point of this image is the fog and the tops of the trees peering through it. I wonder how it would look without the feeder - I think it distracts from the best bits...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Irma,
I like it the way it is... looks good to me... I even think the feeder gives it character...

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 1Peter 1:16

Thanks so much for your comments on my picture ... Smile

Pat: I bet picture of a foggy port would be fantastic! Hope you can make it one of these days... Smile

Smarti: I think I know what you mean without the feeder, unfortunately I didn't have time to clone it out to see the difference. I looked for a picture with one cow, and I have some but the backgound was not the same.

Here is another one from the same day but without cow and without feeder..

[Image: IMG_5000-Edit.jpg]

soldier: About the feeder... There are a lot of them around here, your comment gave me the idea of making a nice series of them... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma:

Sorry to take so long to reply to this - I have been in the hospital for bowel surgery.

I like the fog in these shots, and I think the color processing is very effective, Your post-processing is excellent as usual.

The composition of #1 doesn't really move me, however. The major detail of the photo is in the foreground, but the main foreground elements (the cow and feeder) are not relating to one another. The feeder sits *here* on the left and the cow sit *there* on the right with no relationship established between them other than that they are sharing the frame. The cow is oblivious to the feeder and to the green tuft of grass in the lower center.

I think that if you remove the tuft of grass and one of the major items from the foreground, it will help to better integrate the photo. I think the cow is the one to be removed, but you might want to try both options and see which you like better.

Just my $.02 - I really like these foggy shots - I never get tired of them.

I am not certain, but what you call a feeder, I think is what contains slurry ( runny cow manure ) which is towed around the fields behind a tractor, and a tap at the back is turned. The slurry is then sprayed onto the field as a liquid manure. It smell terrible. But the plants seem to like it.Big Grin
As to the photo, mmmmh not sure, but for me, too much fog although it is well captured.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Hi Toad!! Smile

I was missing you already... I thought you were in a business trip, but I also thought it was already too long...

I am so sorry to know you were in hospital, and we didn't know anything before... Sad
Hope you are much better now. G sends you his best wishes for a speedy recovery the same as I do...

Thanks so much for your comment in these pictures, I also found very interesting the post processing in this one. I like the green more than a blue color here. Blue makes it a bit too cold and sad somehow.

You are right about the relation of the subjects in the foreground. I never thought about working other composition just with one subject. I worked a quick and a bit careless post processing to clone out the cow just to see the difference. Removing the cow is easier since I don't need to paint poles. I will try to remove the feeder as soon as I have time as Shane suggested too.

[Image: IMG_5007-Editnocow.jpg]

NT, You might be right, since I have seen those things behind a tractor. But I also have seen cows drinking from them, probably they are other sort. I have to ask my neighbour...

Thanks so much for your comments.... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by RobertMurariu
Apr 25, 2017, 12:54
Last Post by delb0y
Mar 12, 2017, 14:46
Last Post by snaphappy
Jan 13, 2015, 08:52