Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fogo Island Tragedies

Today was day 4 of a terrible wind storm that has been relentlessly pounding Fogo Island. The winds have been 110 kph (about 70 mph). On Friday, a fishing boat that was bringing home a load of shrimp was hit broadside by a rogue wave. Of the 4 man crew, sadly only 3 were still alive in their survival suits by the time the Search And Rescue helicopter plucked them from the frigid North Atlantic.

The next morning, two men from the town of Fogo ventured out in the rough seas in a small boat to go bird hunting and never returned. We watched from our front window all afternoon, and into the evening, as Coast Guard and Search And Rescue vessels and helicopters continuously worked their way up and down the coastline. All through the night I kept getting up to look out the window, and a large Coast Guard cutter could always be seen searching. By Sunday morning the bodies of the two local men had been recovered. A very sad and tragic weekend for us Fogo Islanders.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the lost men.

Today the winds were still blowing at over 100 kph, and though it was raining/snowing and the skies were very dark, I drove down the road a short distance and took a few shots of the powerful surf from inside the car. Below are two of these captures. They were taken handheld with my Sony Alpha, and my trusty Minolta 100-200mm F/4 lens.

Glen
http://www.focusonnewfoundland.com
My Fogo Island Journal: http://www.fogoislanders.blogspot.com

[Image: DSC01525a1000pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC01545a1000pix.jpg]

Hi, Glen!

The photos are very dramatic and illustrate the wild weather quite well. I read the account of the tragedy in the Toronto Star earlier this week, and thought of you on Fogo Island.

Regards.....Dennis

That's really sad Glen - glad you are safe.

Canon stuff.

The ocean can go from beautiful to deadly so quickly. Sorry for your communities loss.

Very sorry to read about this tragedy in your place.

My condolences to the families...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post