Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Forgotten & Found

As I'm unloading my Canon DSLR gear to make room for Mr. Fuji, I dug out my old IR-converted G1 to play with the other day. Little did I remember that I had some old pictures still on the flash card, from 2007 and 2009. Unfortunately the camera must have been set to JPEG-medium, as they were all small and low-rez (relative to a 3mp camera.) I salvaged a few for kicks. (I'm sure some of you have seen this gazebo before, lol.)

[Image: 146807706.jpg]

[Image: 146807710.jpg]

[Image: 146807708.jpg]

[Image: 146807709.jpg]

[Image: 146807705.jpg]

These arre really nice, Slej. I recently converted my D200 body to fulltime iR, but I haven't used it much. These are quite inspirational.

Is the B&W done in post or did you put a B&W filter in the G1?

Very interesting and yes they are full of inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I love the quality IR gives an image, I am seriously considering getting my Rebel converted.

These are some great images, like finding gold in a wallet you haven't used in a long time!

(Oct 20, 2012, 18:11)EnglishBob Wrote:  I love the quality IR gives an image, I am seriously considering getting my Rebel converted.

These are some great images, like finding gold in a wallet you haven't used in a long time!

Some wallet. Mine only has moths.

The IR's are like Sumi-E type painting. Soothing.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

These pictures are amazing! The third is my favorite! I love the lighting and the reflections... AMAZING!

(Oct 19, 2012, 20:40)Toad Wrote:  Is the B&W done in post or did you put a B&W filter in the G1?

After the conversion, the G1 no longer captures color at all - there's just a hint of pink in the highlights, which looks more like color noise to me (very likely, given the sensor.) I simply desaturate to take it away, then do some contrast adjustment and local dodging and burning where needed. The shadows areas are VERY open before tweaking, and I like them to go black or close to it.

The nice thing is, even with the loss of light from the IR filter, with this camera I can work with 'normal' shutter speeds - there's little need for a tripod. Pre-conversion, I'd lose maybe 3 stops and have to deal with fairly long exposures. I did have to switch to a strong B+W 093 IR filter after the conversion, as the more commonly used 092 or Hoya R72 are too weak. That's what I used in the good old days for faux color stuff like this:

[Image: 22994375.jpg]

THANKS all for the kind words! SmileSmileSmile

Wow! This one is breath taking to me! It could be placed on my front room wall to look at every day! I also love purple hues! Thanks for the share!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

On color it looks like a drawing. FABULOUS!!!!

Feels whimsical and like something out a Japnimation studio.

Very cool, and a nice find. I do sometimes forget that I have rolls of film in cameras, but the results never look this good.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I like especially the second one with its hazy, dream look. Also the third and fourth are nice. I generally like IR photos but don't really appreciate HDR, at least in most cases.

The coloured version looks amazing. I like the BWs as well, but in color it's just...mindblowing!

Very ethereal and lovely, all of them! I agree - I almost expect to see anime characters walking around in the colored version!
Finding those pictures are better than finding money in a wallet, that will just be spent, these will be lovely forever Big Grin

Wow, truly stunning shots!

I only ever did IR back in the day shooting film although I did try it with an early phase one back that needed an IR cutoff filter to record colors correctly. When you shot without the filter you got a kinda IR effect but it wasn't that good.

What's a good camera (that can be easily modified) to get that produces good IR images?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Pat
Sep 29, 2007, 22:59