Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Frankland River - Walpole

My father is visiting me from Tasmania at the moment, and we did a bit of touring around the South-West corner of WA last weekend, staying in a nice little cottage on the banks of the Frankland River just out of Walpole.

Now I'm beginning to feel that the blurred water effect in shots like these is becoming a bit of a cliche these days.... but when you happen to be in the right place at the right time of day with a camera and tripod handy then it's hard to resist the urge to take them..... And this time I couldn't resist... so here they are! Tongue

[Image: ST_IMG_2284.jpg]

[Image: ST_IMG_2287.jpg]

[Image: ST_IMG_2225.jpg]

[Image: ST_IMG_2267.jpg]

It's not my best work.. but taking photos like these is a lot of fun so I thought I'd share them. Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I like them a lot, very nice effect in all of them. Superb colors too...

What lens/filters did you use for this series?

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Great photographs of an interesting area we hope to visit next year! Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

love them , great job as always ...

...... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

excellent photos

they are gorgeous, kombi! good job.

Uli

I wouldn't say that the effect is cliched. (I'd better not: most of the photos that I've taken recently are of blurred water!) I see some similarities with sunrise/set photos, where photographers too frequently confuse "being pretty" with "having a subject". I would say that all four of yours have weight and substance that carries them past the "ooo, pretty" moment and stand well as landscapes in their own right. #3 and #4 are particularly strong for making a viable subject out of the river and trees, respectively.

As this is something I'm working with myself, I'd also be curious to learn a little more about your equipment and techniques for these photos.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

3 and 4 are outstanding Kombi. Beautiful work.

Canon stuff.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
Matthew, I agree completely with your comparison of this motion blur technique to the shooting of sunrise/sunsets (and I also think the "selective colour" technique too). It is something that can be great when used appropriately, but is perhaps a bit overdone in general.
As for these particular shots, well I took them simply for the fun of taking them, cliche'd or not. Smile

For anybody interested, the details of each shot are below (see image borders for basic focal length/aperture/shutter/iso details):
* All shots except #4 were taken with a Sigma 10-20mm lens on a Canon 30D body.
* Shot #4 was taken with a Canon 70-200mm f/4L lens.
* No filters were used in any of the shots. The very slow shutter speeds were simply a function of the fading daylight, relatively low ISO and tight lens aperture. I would've liked to have shot all the 10mm shots at f/16 and 100 iso, but the fast fading light meant that I had to choose a slightly wider aperture and higher iso.
* All the shots were taken just as the sun was disappearing over the hill. In fact it was a bit difficult to see where I was walking by the time I'd finished shooting these shots because it was really getting dark.
* All except for shot #3 were taken on a tripod using a remote shutter release and mirror lockup.
* Shot #3 was handheld (no mirror lockup or remote shutter) with me lying down on the ground very close to the water. In fact I got a little wet.
* Obviously, the longer the shutter speed the smoother the water becomes. The turbulance that is the main feature of shot #3 is the same little section of rapids that can be seen in the right hand side of shot #2. The difference in blur is the difference between 1/4 second and 15 second shutter speeds, and the difference in colour and light is due to the sun falling down behind the treeline.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Awesome!

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by jjford43
Sep 10, 2017, 15:09