Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

From Uley Bury

Many/most of the hills around Castle Zig have been used since Neolithic times as fortresses, votive sites and the like. This is the view from another of them, again looking westwards over the River Severn. You can just about see the Welsh mountains from here.
f5.6 with the Tamron 90mm(again); I started from a colour tif(I couldn't be bothered redoing from raw on this occasion), desaturated and did much dodging first as I was thinking in terms of red filtration on mono and didn't want to overdarken the greens(of which there are many!)

[Image: UleyPanApr06-BW-web.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I never get tired of this view - at least not when it is captured as well as you capture it!

Zig Wrote:Many/most of the hills around Castle Zig have been used since Neolithic times as fortresses, votive sites and the like. This is the view from another of them, again looking westwards over the River Severn. You can just about see the Welsh mountains from here.
f5.6 with the Tamron 90mm(again); I started from a colour tif(I couldn't be bothered redoing from raw on this occasion), desaturated and did much dodging first as I was thinking in terms of red filtration on mono and didn't want to overdarken the greens(of which there are many!)

]
'tis another cracking shot, Mr Zig. Cool

I think I detect one or two light patches at the top - along the skyline far side of the river. I'm asuming that might be where you did some dodging .... or maybe it's subtle variations in the lighting?

Fabulous view, lovely lighting, super processing and even the clouds co-operated for you.

Pol

Hi Toad, hi Pol; nice to "see" you both again: with hindsight, you're perhaps being kinder than I deserve. Toad, you've reminded me that pretty much all I post on what should be a showcase, is in fact a collection of "views west" from hills round me. Though they are all different hills, the things in them don't change a great deal. I really should get out more! Pol, yes: I knew this banding was being brought out as I kept working on the sky; I carried on as I wanted the clouds, yet I should have pulled a grad in and sacrificed them for the sake of something more uniform. I gather that this banding effect(I think) is actually because sunlight is "polarised" into these bands au naturel(or so I heard from "some guy on the net"!)
I'm not doing some "fishing for strokes" number here; I worked far too quickly on it.
(As I do believe the showcase should reflect one's best rather than either one's second-best or the pseudy, emotive, dumbed-down and overprocessed tripe that really belongs on a photoblog, I could have flown the flag better.)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig Wrote:Hi Toad, hi Pol; nice to "see" you both again: with hindsight, you're perhaps being kinder than I deserve. Toad, you've reminded me that pretty much all I post on what should be a showcase, is in fact a collection of "views west" from hills round me. Though they are all different hills, the things in them don't change a great deal. I really should get out more! Pol, yes: I knew this banding was being brought out as I kept working on the sky; I carried on as I wanted the clouds, yet I should have pulled a grad in and sacrificed them for the sake of something more uniform. I gather that this banding effect(I think) is actually because sunlight is "polarised" into these bands au naturel(or so I heard from "some guy on the net"!)
I'm not doing some "fishing for strokes" number here; I worked far too quickly on it.
(As I do believe the showcase should reflect one's best rather than either one's second-best or the pseudy, emotive, dumbed-down and overprocessed tripe that really belongs on a photoblog, I could have flown the flag better.)
You fly the flag beautifully and that's a fact! I find your landscapes very inspiring actually - they have a certain unique quality that's made me look at distant views in a whole new way.

Have you tried using the Photomatix tone mapper? I promise you you'd be amazed and delighted by the huge range of possibilities for picking up and bringing out all sorts of tones and shades.

I was playing about with your image last night and layering my results over your original. You can even use a series of layers to make a sort of animation that makes the light and shadows appear to 'shift' - as it does when a cloud passes over and the shadow intesities change momentarily.

It wouldn't necessarily be classed as "overprocessed tripe" to use tone mapping and layering. It's simply a case of recording and using a higher dyamic range. After all - our eyes see a lot more than we can record with a camera.

Waffle over - my brekkie's ready. Big Grin

Pol

Nice location, but to my eye the conversion the mono has left it a little flat. Maybe the contrast/brightness needs tweaking a bit?

Alastair says "Visit My Blog?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Zig
Feb 22, 2011, 02:36
Last Post by Petographer
Mar 1, 2006, 15:01