Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

From the balcony

I'm in Tasmania at the moment spending time with my family while my mum is in hospital here.
The circumstances are unfortunate, but it's always good to come home and see the family, and mum is making positive progress.

Anyway, the weather here has been lousy for the last couple of days considering it's supposed to be summer. Cold and rainy (while it has been hot back in Perth). I've spent most of the time indoors and have been using my lappy while looking out of a window and over a balcony.
These are just a couple of shots that caught my eye while I've been sitting at my PC. A little green moth with red around it's edges was sitting on the window for a few hours, and when it rained the drops fell on the balcony railing. The EXIF data is mucked up for the moth shot because I was using extension tubes with no electrical contacts, but from memory it was 70mm and f/11 (using 24-70 f/2.8L lens and extension tubes).

[Image: 74_AB_A0228_ST2.jpg]

[Image: AB_A0347_ST.jpg]

edit: OK, I've tried uploading the first shot again...

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

The moth shot is not showing up for me the but the other one is beautiful in it's simplicity - a real moment in time shot.

Sorry to hear your mum is not well.

Canon stuff.

The first photo isn't showing for me either.

The 2nd is wonderful.
I feel the home studio water-drop photos everyone and their mother have posted online to be just practice that never seems to lead anywhere. People get the technique down but never take it outside and capture something that's real.
This is real-world and I love it.
Mine were widely ignored, but didn't have the slick lighting of this one.

can't see the first either, like the second very much!

All the best for your mom!!!!

Uli

Thanks for the comments and good wishes. Smile

I actually tried uploading a couple of different versions of the first shot last night and none of them showed up for me, so in the end I thought there might have been something up with the server (although it was odd that the other shot worked).

Anyway, I've tried again now and it appears to have worked.
I know as shots they aren't anything special.. but they were both within sight of me while I was working on my PC and the shots themselves and quality of light in them has a somewhat Tasmanian vibe I think (certainly when compared to Western Australia).

Every time I travel between these two states (Tasmania and W.A.) I get a deeper appreciation of both of them and the differences between them. It's great to have two such different places and be able to call both of them home. Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Very cool photographs. As Keith mentioned, seeing water drops in the wild makes all the difference. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Best wishes to you, your mum, and family.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I like them both. The moth didn't show for me although the (url) was there with a little red cross at the front of it.
It is there now though. I sometimes spend time writing a reply and then forget to press 'submit'.
Age thing Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Petographer
Dec 31, 2005, 12:26