Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

From the beach.

We went to the beach last weekend, and the idea was to go to the lighthouse. We really expected a more interesting landscape, beach. The lighthouse was surrounded by private property, so houses and cars plus a wire fence would be the landscape for our lighthouse pictures. I tried to make the best of the situation as we had walked already a lot!! to get there.

I worked my series in bw, and tried to be consistant with the treatment.

[Image: IMG_5223-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5254-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5174-Edit.jpg]

Thanks for your comments... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I'll include these two that were taken in the place and somehow round my series.... Wink

[Image: IMG_5239-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5245-Edit.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

I like the processing: is this simulated red filtering? Whatever it is, it really wotk with the subjects..the last 2 are very "Picture Post" and authentic. Lovely.
I'm not sure about the field one...I've played about again, if you don't mind: corrected for verticals, cropped quite drastically to fill the frame.
Could I ask, why f14 for this shot Irma?(..would not a wider aperture have been possible to still get the depth of field?)

[Image: IMG_5174-Edit-zigged.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

The third and fifth are my favourites; for the third I like both the original and Zig's panorama crop, but prefer the "big sky" of the original.

For #4 and #5, I find the second (fifth) to be a much stronger composition. The first one places the two possible subjects - the bikes and the couple - too far apart for me rest on one or the other, and even though the bikes are larger the people have more psychological significance, making it hard to decide which is more important. The second photo resolves the ambiguity: the standing bike is larger, and I see it first, but the significance of the people beyond it gives the scene a storytelling element and gives me something to explore. The whole composition is simpler and stronger. Added details like better separation between the subjects (bike and couple as well as the two individuals), the more attractive could formations, and the way that the bike relates to the horizon, all combine to make it a more pleasing image.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks Zig for your comment... Smile
I always forget this panorama format. I like it... About the verticals... you are right I forgot to correct my verticals in this version. Thanks.

I am very happy you mentioned the couple in the beach. I like these pictures a lot.... Smile

Why f14?

The thing is that we had nice light and I wanted to have as much detail sharp as I could. So without compromising my shutter speed I closed my apperture to get a 1/160s. It was a bit windy so I didn't risk more going slower to get motion blurred. This was taken at 45mm, I was focusing in the little shed and I didn't want to have my horizon soft.

Paul Cezanne

Thanks Matthew...

I appreciate very much your comment about the #4 and #5 because I wanted to know which was better in terms of composition and storytelling... I coud play just these two compositions whitout interrupt and be seen. I thought afterwards that I could have walked further and took the pictures from the other side. I just couldn't do it. I was so nervous... I also took this pictures f11 because I wanted the bike and the couple to be sharp both elements in the story. I was affraid I had made a mistake here and it would have been better to have the couple out of focus...

Thanks again for your comment... Smile

Paul Cezanne

All are lovely - but the the last image is beautiful. Matt said it all already.

Canon stuff.

Thanks Chris... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Irma excellent photos!

Love the bw, and the composition.

I like them all, the little house on the field really stands out, i love the "full frame" version of it.

But the one that really got my attention is this one.
[Image: IMG_5245-Edit.jpg]

This one is simply awesome. The composition is works very well for me, but i think its the feelings the image convey that makes me like it the most. (and offcourse this is partly due to the composition)

To me it says, freedom, its like the two people in the picture "ran away" for the day just to enjoy the weather and the beach, the bike that lies on the ground really add to this feeling.

Thanx for sharing.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Irma,

I agree with Zig on the crop, I was just going to do the same when I scrolled down.

I couldn't choose between 4 and 5 if I had to, as I like the composition in 4 and it is very peaceful, the fact that the couple are a bit further away and left their bikes speaks for the privacy they sought.
5 is different, and very strong, I agree, but after all a bike is just a bike (not photographically, I think you did a great job here, but I see more of a story in 4)
In addition, the band of clouds across the sky nicely balances the composition, so to me, even though the main subjects are far apart, the picture doesn't look scattered.

the first one is just too shrubby for me, it looks like you could not get where you really wanted to take the pictures.

I like the second one but don't find it particularly exciting either. it is not one of your best. maybe you could clone out the little black bird or thing in the grass?

Greetings!

Uli

Paul thanks so much for sharing your interpretation of the picture... I really appreciate it... Wink
... and you are so true when you say that it is the feelings what I really wanted to express here. I worked a color version, but by far the bw was better... I thought. the story doesn't need colors... Wink

Uli,
Thanks a lot for your comment, and your interpretation of the story too.... Smile

I didn't see the bird in #2... Good eye!!... Wink

You are right with the first one. I couldn't get closer so I had to frame with the trees in the foreground. It was a difficult pp as I couldn't get nice contrast here with the trees and the background.

Thanks again all for your comments Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jul 1, 2017, 09:54