Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

From the forest BW

It was just in my way back from the lake that I saw this trunk with the mushrooms. I took a series with different compositions but only these three were the best ones. I like my conversion here.

It is not the topic for the season, but I haven't got anything about Christmas this year. Hope you like them anyway... Wink

[Image: IMG_2840-Edit-2.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2851-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2855-Edit.jpg]

Thanks for looking ... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Great processing of these shots - the B&W looks very "Blair Witch". I prefer #2 and #3 for composition reasons. Superb eye for detail and processing to enhance the images.

Thanks Toad... Smile

I learned a lot with this post processing... In former times when I wanted to give this mood a lot of my detail in the shadow was lost. In these ones I see more detail in the dark areas.

Paul Cezanne

These look lovely here and I bet superb as hard copy.
Irma, could you say a bit about how you converted and pp'd these? I love the tones here.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Number three is my favourite - love the composition on that one.

Canon stuff.

Thanks Zig, I am happy you like them... Smile

I make my post processing in LR a bit darkish but trying not to lose information... in toning I have highlights in magenta 8% and shadows in blue 11%.

In PS I desaturate my image and then beneath I make all changes with selective colors or color balance... I am still learning... yesterday I saw how easy it is to lose information and have just patches of pixels the same color... I had to work again my color balance and bring back that missing detail...

I use brightness and contrast as you recommended once... I agree, it works better than curves in this case... Sometimes I get a copy of the channel because it is lighter so I blend it to multiply and reduce my opacity also it helps for the right contrast... I work my dodge and burn with a layer filled with 50% gray blend to overlay and dodge with white and burn with black around 5-7% opacity.

Here you have my layers in these two ...

[Image: irmabw2.jpg]

[Image: irmabw1.jpg]

All this year in some of my last images I have followed Toad's advice about using a simplifier program...I use topaz to simplify my image then I fade it to 50% and reduce opacity so it is just a nice touch, in some cases I mask some parts leaving the rest 100 opacity... all depends on the image.

Well, Zig, you said if I could talk a bit about my pp... I hope I was not too short... Wink

I am happy you asked, btw...

Any advice to improve my post processing it is always very welcome... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I noticed Topaz on your workflow and was wondering which filter you were using until I read to the end. I have the entire suite of Topaz filters - some are better than others - but all very interesting. Like you, I always fade the simplifier back until it is just visible. People know that something is being done to the photo - but it isn't *obvious*. I can't remeber who - but somebody on this site used to call that "Toadifying" a photo...

I haven't got the chance to print a picture worked with Topaz but I think it will look fine.

The other filter I am interested is Vivacity. I can imagine that this filter can improve my post processing used in my Antik window. Which I worked inspired by your art... Smile

Does Vivacity work fine for you?

Thanks Chris for your comment... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I haven't used Vivacity which is a combination of some of the features of some of the other Topaz filters. The ones that I like the best are Adjust, Clean and Remask2. Simplify offers some amazing capabilities for producing illustrations, but is harder to use than Buzz for simple stuff. When you enlarge photos done with Topaz to very large sizes, some of the edge manipulation is visible - but I still think it is superior to some of the comparable PhotoShop filters.

As for the inspiration, you are too kind.

Irma, I'm exceedingly grateful for the time and trouble you took here to itemise your "workflow"...phew...my goodness, (I've absolutely no idea what you and Toad are talking about of course... Big Grin )

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

So beautiful dear Irma, and thanks for all these explanations, these are great help for me too, you are amazing and I love your photography,

Thank you,
Blessing and Happiness,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Toad Wrote:When you enlarge photos done with Topaz to very large sizes, some of the edge manipulation is visible - but I still think it is superior to some of the comparable PhotoShop filters.
Right you are, I have always to check my edges when using Topaz, specially when there is a strong contrast.

Zig,
Those are plug ins from Topaz Lab. Some of them are for artistic look... and some others to reduce noise, sharpen etc.... They are useful as some of them can run in a 16bit image and can handle large files...

Thanks all for your comments... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Thanks Irma!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Dec 23, 2013, 07:57
Last Post by squirl033
Feb 23, 2012, 02:16