Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fungi

Anyone into photographing Fungi? Found this one on Sunday. I am told that it is a bracket Fungus and Googling suggested that it is a Turkey tail, common throughout the UK and also found throughout mainland Europe and N America. Post processing consisted of tweaking the contrast and saturation, applying a lightening vignette and then erasing to allow the fungus to come through.    

The word "Delicate" springs to mind, rather like an expensive piece of ceramic. Looks great, and everything, Just Right. Excellent Dean. Ed.

Very nice! Thank you!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Great shot and how you post processed it. Very light and just the way it needs to be focus more attention on the subject . Makes me more wonder about this fungus. Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Well, this is an interesting approach to photographing mushrooms Smile I like it. Those mushrooms are really appreciated in alternative medicine and your light and clean approach is really showing them in the right way.

thanks guys.
Dean

beautiful image, i hope you dont mind if i post one of my recent ones here also, the processing is very interesting, beautiful colors

Attached Files Image(s)

No problem at all. A more usual treatment than mine. Was this in natural light? Foreground a little over exposed, I think. Also depth of field a little bit shallow. Base of stem and right and left sides of subject a bit out of focus. Good subject colour, positioning and background though. Do you have any more? What is this one called?

Nice one,any post processing. Ed.

(Oct 7, 2013, 09:09)Dean Wrote:  Anyone into photographing Fungi? Found this one on Sunday. I am told that it is a bracket Fungus and Googling suggested that it is a Turkey tail, common throughout the UK and also found throughout mainland Europe and N America. Post processing consisted of tweaking the contrast and saturation, applying a lightening vignette and then erasing to allow the fungus to come through.

I love the color you pulled out of this. I would have left the background alone though. I don't care for the vignetting.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

(Oct 14, 2013, 11:47)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  
(Oct 7, 2013, 09:09)Dean Wrote:  Anyone into photographing Fungi? Found this one on Sunday. I am told that it is a bracket Fungus and Googling suggested that it is a Turkey tail, common throughout the UK and also found throughout mainland Europe and N America. Post processing consisted of tweaking the contrast and saturation, applying a lightening vignette and then erasing to allow the fungus to come through.

I love the color you pulled out of this. I would have left the background alone though. I don't care for the vignetting.
No, its not the usual way of presenting fungi. I have entered it into a club competition so we shall see what the judges make of it. I am never surprised!

(Oct 14, 2013, 14:02)Dean Wrote:  

No, its not the usual way of presenting fungi. I have entered it into a club competition so we shall see what the judges make of it. I am never surprised!
This is the image without manipulation.    

not sure what it is called, just reminded me of the little water creaturein Promethius, all natural lighting, and worked for shallow depth of field, and more of a hi key view. Thanks for the C&C , I do have a few more ill try finding them to resize and put on

Hi Dean, I would definitely like more the 2nd image the non post processed. Gives sense to your subject and do looks very interesting.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Oct 14, 2013, 20:41)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Hi Dean, I would definitely like more the 2nd image the non post processed. Gives sense to your subject and do looks very interesting.
I have a feeling that the competition judge will agree with you.

(Oct 14, 2013, 14:02)Dean Wrote:  

As feared, the judge didn’t like the vignette!

Can`t please them all. Ed.

(Oct 29, 2013, 17:41)EdMak Wrote:  Can`t please them all. Ed.

Too true! If Dean had entered the second image, it's quite likely that the judge would have described all that knobbly bark as a busy distraction from the interesting fungus.

Dean, I think the first one, in which the surroundings of the fungus fade into the white vignette, is a very attractive image.

Was it a single shot or did you bracket it? (Sorry! Smile )

(Oct 29, 2013, 23:18)MrB Wrote:  
(Oct 29, 2013, 17:41)EdMak Wrote:  Can`t please them all. Ed.

Too true! If Dean had entered the second image, it's quite likely that the judge would have described all that knobbly bark as a busy distraction from the interesting fungus.

Dean, I think the first one, in which the surroundings of the fungus fade into the white vignette, is a very attractive image.

Was it a single shot or did you bracket it? (Sorry! Smile )
Thanks to you both. Yes it was a single shot. Just happened to be in a light patch.

Not into Fungi shooting but saw this growing out of a tree just off the main drag in Camden, you know someones gonna be making a brew!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Wall-E
Nov 4, 2013, 16:18