Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GPS on compact (or compact system) cameras

Hi, I've just seen Lightroom 5 and with GPS to locate the photographs on google earth is ideal for touring holidays. Has anybody had experience of compact cameras with GPS?

Interested to hear more from the members! This is something new to me...love to hear more!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Oct 20, 2013, 11:56)Barbara G. Wrote:  Interested to hear more from the members! This is something new to me...love to hear more!

Hi Enclosed file with GPS data encapsulated in metadata, import into lightroom and then click on the gps icon on the bottom right in the library.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Oct 20, 2013, 09:18)tonyjennings@sky.com Wrote:  Hi, I've just seen Lightroom 5 and with GPS to locate the photographs on google earth is ideal for touring holidays. Has anybody had experience of compact cameras with GPS?

What's your idea of a compact camera?
A Point and Shoot (P&S)?
Or a bridge (mirrored with fixed lens)?
Or a mirrorless?

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Oct 20, 2013, 17:42)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Oct 20, 2013, 09:18)tonyjennings@sky.com Wrote:  Hi, I've just seen Lightroom 5 and with GPS to locate the photographs on google earth is ideal for touring holidays. Has anybody had experience of compact cameras with GPS?

What's your idea of a compact camera?
A Point and Shoot (P&S)?
Or a bridge (mirrored with fixed lens)?
Or a mirrorless?

Something which will fit in a pocket easily and doesn't need a bag to carry all the different lenses, currently have Nikon D7100, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, Nikon 18 -105 f3.5,
Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 55 - 300 f3.5, Meike battery grip, GPS receiver, and Nikon 600 speedlight, all fits into camera bag together with laptop and chargers, but not really something which just slips into the pocket. Got a panasonic ts5 which does that but would like to replace it with something with built in gps receiver also RAW would be nice but not sure if that exists.

You could have bought a Sony A77v. It has the GPS unit built in. Unfortunately you would still need really big pockets!!

Seriously, I haven't heard of a compact that shoots RAW never mind GPS as well. Good luck with your search and let us know if you find anything.

Happy Shooting people!

Regards
Keith

(Oct 21, 2013, 08:33)KeithB Wrote:  You could have bought a Sony A77v. It has the GPS unit built in. Unfortunately you would still need really big pockets!!

Seriously, I haven't heard of a compact that shoots RAW never mind GPS as well. Good luck with your search and let us know if you find anything.

Actually, there are now a number of 'compact' cameras that do RAW.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cam...raw_format

Some of the Canon's require a small piece of software be added to the camera to access it (CHDK - Canon Hack Development Kit )

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

I've used a Panasonic DMCZS7 (with GPS) since 2010 on two cycling trips to Europe. GPS (with place names) is great to keep track of each day's meanderings especially in other languages. One minor nuisance can be the lag time between your first photo at a new location and when the camera reconnects to the GPS satellites. This means photos can get temporarily labelled with a previous location's coordinates. Overall, though GPS is a great help to recall and organize trip photos.

(Oct 21, 2013, 10:27)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Oct 21, 2013, 08:33)KeithB Wrote:  You could have bought a Sony A77v. It has the GPS unit built in. Unfortunately you would still need really big pockets!!

Some of the Canon's require a small piece of software be added to the camera to access it (CHDK - Canon Hack Development Kit )
Thank you for that, at the moment weighing up between Panasonic FZ40 and the Canon SX260 or SX280 with CHDK

(Oct 21, 2013, 12:09)Ex500CC330 Wrote:  I've used a Panasonic DMCZS7 (with GPS) since 2010 on two cycling trips to Europe. GPS (with place names) is great to keep track of each day's meanderings especially in other languages. One minor nuisance can be the lag time between your first photo at a new location and when the camera reconnects to the GPS satellites. This means photos can get temporarily labelled with a previous location's coordinates. Overall, though GPS is a great help to recall and organize trip photos.
Yes, understand, but the coordinates can be corrected in liighroom later. the fact that you will have some record makes tracing the trip so much more memorable.

(Oct 22, 2013, 00:27)tonyjennings@sky.com Wrote:  

Thank you for that, at the moment weighing up between Panasonic FZ40 and the Canon SX260 or SX280 with CHDK

Checked out CHDK and seems good. Ordered a Canon SX260 off EBAY and awaiting results. The Canon seemed to have the cleanest images from the test pics in reviews despite having the smallest sensor.

I used a Nikon AW110 waterproof/shockproof compact attached to my bike for my John O Groats to lands End cycle ride earlier this year. However, I turned the GPS off as it was said to reduce battery life considerably. A factor to take into consideration when touring.

Do we people who take photos need GPS!!!!-I had a sony hs9v compact with gps,did I use it-no-drained the battery very fast and the time time needed to get a signal to long to wait.These gimmicks are sometimes put there to get you to buy the product ,it could be of use if you needed to return to the same place by putting the gps location into your sat nav or if in 10 years time you need to know were you took the photo ok.I also have a sony hx200v bridge camera -and guess what-IT HAS GPS well well ,do I use it -no.IF I don't know were I took the photo ,I don't know I took it then its time to give up,but im sure it has its uses.I also have just purchased a sony a58 SLT,no gps-it takes great pics ,if you need the GPS ok if you want quality pics spend the extra on a camera without it.-regards andy

GPS is useful to get foreign place names spelled correctly, particularly if you plan on making a DVD or book of your travels and you care about accuracy. Also, I have used the longitude/latitude information occasionally to get a Google map birdseye view of the site (eg a WW military cemetery in France) to add to the DVD or book for extra interest. Richard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Feb 8, 2017, 15:35