Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Galleries? Photo uploads? Can the two merge?

Dear Dorothy ST,

Can we grab all the photos we have uploaded and put them into a user gallery ? Can this be done automatically? I don't like to compare sites but another site I have contributed too puts all your uploaded photos into your home galley, I don't seem to get that happening here.

I am guessing I have missed something. :/

Cheers.

Pete
O h yes and seeing as this is the photo showcase here is a photo.

[Image: Gull.jpg]

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Hey what a simple but ingenious idea! I second that. Smile

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Yes, that would be a good option but the software would likely have to support it. How about it Jules? Big Grin

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Great idea Pete,
It would be like a personal history of member’s development and phases.

BTW nice gull…….. Wink

Me too. I was putting photos into the gallery but it got to be too much. There were all the same photos I was posting. None of them was especially worthy of living forever.

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I never look at the galleries. Ever. If I thought that it was a history of the work of the members here, I would look regularly.

Same with those competition galleries - if it isn't in my "workflow" - which is basically to look for new posts - I miss them altotether.

On another site it is available if you click on a member profile and even if no one else looks at your photos it would let you look at your own.

Albert Einstein

I know that there are galleries for members that have never posted in the forums. I don't know if I like that idea.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Hm... interesting idea, guys! Big Grin

I really like the idea, but I have to look into this one and think long and hard how it could be implemented.

The gallery is implemented using Coppermine, while the forum photo uploads are just a simple upload script which I put together that puts photos into one directory.

In my short sightedness, I made the upload script put all the photos into one directory, so I can't tell who uploaded which photo. It would be a very tedious process of attributing all the existing photos to members, although if I modify the script, we could handle all new photos.

Now, in terms of the upload process:

One implementation would be to upload directly into the gallery software, and then link to it when posting, but I thing the coppermine upload process is very tedious and would be nowhere as easy as using the current forum upload script.

Another simple way would be to upload each person's photos into separate directories and then have a script which allows you to browse each person's directory.

An extension of the above would be to do an automatic batch import of the photos people post in the forums, into the gallery software.

Any other ideas, you computer geeks out there? If need be, we could ditch the gallery software - I don't really care much for it too - I think it's pretty clunky.

I am thinking that if previous photo posts did not make it into my gallery that would be fine.

Seems that there must be lots of posted photos that we really can't access anymore unless we troll through old posts, seems such a shame. Sad

Albert Einstein

True true... another solution of course is to put something together myself which will trawl thorugh the database using sql queries and correlate posts to image files and then ... hm... yes.. that could definitely work.

I'll need to invest some time to tinker around though...

ST: Not a bad idea...that should be fairly simple code wise Big Grin

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

Haha, yes... I'll just dream it up in my sleep... Smile

muzza Wrote:ST: Not a bad idea...that should be fairly simple code wise Big Grin

Famous last words of many a failed software project Big Grin

We say it just about everyday! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

Would it work if we wrote our name before the extension file, something like this _irma.jpg. ? I mean we could do it when we paste the code of our picture in the post.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Nah, that's ok Irma. I think I should be able to come up with a solution that can find the owner automatically...

I prefer to relieve whatever stress I can on shuttertalk by hosting my images offsite and just link it Tongue

wayney Wrote:I prefer to relieve whatever stress I can on shuttertalk by hosting my images offsite and just link it Tongue

Thanks for that wayney, but you don't really have to. As long as people keep their images reasonbly sized (~ 640x480 / 50kb) we should have plenty of headroom for some time to come.

I have my own hosting and gallery space anyway, so whatever little helps Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MarkLant
Dec 11, 2017, 14:27