Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Goldenorb & my Macro lens

I have been experimenting with my EF-S 60mm macro lens and took this photo of a golden orb spider who has taken up residence in our front garden. The spider is only about 45mm long and I am wondering would I be able to obtain more detail in my photo if I used an extension tube such as the EF 12 11/25 11. Anyone care to give me a some tips re macro photography? :/

[Image: goldenorb_1.jpg]

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Not sure if you're already doing this, but most people suggest using tripod and manual focus.. depending on wind as well you may need to stabilize the subject you're shooting - especially with flowers, branches, etc. Big Grin

You may need to use a smaller aperture for a deeper DOF (hence the tripod) - it looks like you got the front legs in focus...

Agree with Jules. Higher number for aperture and a tripod. Of course, I never actually do those things either - I just bang away - but I know that is the *right* thing to do.

With this shot it seems you have a very sharp dof. The legs at bottom are almost in focus but the rest is not. I'll bet it is a tough one to achieve.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I am not good at bugs macros, because I have very little practice, but my suggestions are.

Work with f8 to f11, choose a light background to have faster shutter speed. In the position this spider is I think you could work your angle to have it all in focus. If that were not possible, choose what detail of the spider you want to show (belly, legs, head) and concentrate to focus that part and forget the rest. If your shutter speed is not fast enough increase your ISO, in moving subjects work with AF SERVO.

You don't need to have the spider covering the whole frame, you always can crop and get closer and work a nice compostion.

Try with tripod but also without it. With fast shutter speed, f11, and moving subject I wouldn't use it.

This is what I would do, hope is useful for you...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I did shoot using MF, no wind at the time so didn't use a tripod. Will try again before sending him on his way. Smile

Cheers,
Pat

Have fun experimenting! A macro lens is one thing I've always wanted but haven't quite been able to justify... Big Grin

I love macro photography and shoot with macro lenses and extension tubes. Problem with the tubes is that you have to get really really close most of the time. For outside work try using a reflector positioned out of shot to bounce any available sunlight on the subject. This helps the shutter speed and allows for more DOF. I find you have to take a lot of photos until you get a good one with everything in focus. A tripod is a must for this type of thing really. Let me know how you get on would be good to swap notes. Good luck!

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

Good tips navis01, sounds like light is very important as you'll be shooting at smaller apertures...

Thanks again for your comments - I'm not quite comfortable with my EF-S 60mm Macro as yet, probably need a lot more practice. :/

Cheers,
Pat

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Eddy Canon
Mar 3, 2016, 12:25
Last Post by EdMak
Jul 29, 2014, 10:44
Last Post by gerainte
Jan 24, 2014, 15:24