Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hairdresser

This is the beginning of a series I have long been thinking about.
I keep coming across the weirdest, vintage-looking or just plain run-down hairdresser shops...
but I haven't been intentionally looking for shops or for pictures to fill up a proper series.

I hope you can enjoy the fragments:

[Image: _MG_9605.jpg]
1) a small shop in Huainan from outside

[Image: _MG_9611.jpg]
2) same shop from inside

[Image: _MG_0251.jpg]
3) one with its doors closed (Nanjing)

[Image: _MG_0903-Edit.jpg]
4) what they can look like inside (Zhaji, south Anhui)

[Image: 81__MG_1060-Edit.jpg]
5) another inside (Zhaji, south Anhui)

[Image: IMG_8572.jpg]
6) another inside (Sanhe, Anhui)

[Image: IMG_8578.jpg]
7) same shop as in no. 5

And in case you did not think so, yes they are up and running business and do get clients:

[Image: _MG_9634.jpg]
8) client1 (Huainan)

[Image: _MG_0495-Edit.jpg]
9) client2 (Hongcun, south Anhui)

the last two are detail shots of the shop in no 6, I cannot decide which one I like better, the one with the foreground blurred and the reflection in focus (no. 10), or the other way around (11).

[Image: IMG_8575.jpg]
10)

[Image: IMG_8576.jpg]
11)

Beautiful series Uli...

Will you add this collection to a printed book? I think you have great images... The pictures that are the inside of the places might need to be large format to see all details.

I like very much the light and the colors in your pictures too.

About the last ones... both are really nice I wouldn't know which one I like the most.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

thanks Irma,

I know, those inside ones are fun to "walk around" in, aren't they, especially no. 4 with all that stuff.
I have seen an exhibition in Beijing a while ago, where a photographer printed huge, about 1.5 x 1.5m prints of his idoor picture. Fantastic. Feels like you can just walk in.

uli

I can imagine that printed big they must look great. And that is why I ask about your camera.....

I am not so sure if I used the 350 for these pictures Uli, probably I wouldn't if I had a 5D...

Paul Cezanne

oh, sorry, actually the hairdresser series is very mixed.
just from my memory, let me see:

(ok, now I am looking them up, can't remember all of them...)

6, 7, 10, 11, are taken with the 350 and 50mm, all at the same time, same place

1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, would have been the 5D with 24-70L.

3 I used the 5D and 100mm

the 50/1.4 is really great! It produces wonderful textures and it good for low light as you can open up wide.
And it is like made for me and the 350d, we make a good team.
I like the effective 80mm, and no one could ever say the 350 is not a good cam!

would you have guessed which ones were not 5D?

Greetings!
(I am off now with a student from last year who has long invited me to visit her home about 200km south of Hefei in Anqing. Anqing used to be the capital of our province before Hefei became capital.)

Uli

Quote:I like the effective 80mm, and no one could ever say the 350 is not a good cam!
Agree, the 350 is a good camera. My reference with the 5D was only about "printing large".

Quote:would you have guessed which ones were not 5D?
I don't think so, Uli. I haven't used a 350... I have taken few pictures with it, but I don't think that would give me the experience to recognize one from the other....

Have a nice time... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Fantastic series Uli - really fascinating to see them.

Canon stuff.

Seeing these reminded me of photos that I had taken in an abandoned auto repair shop. The same sort of debris scattered around, things stacked in odd ways, weathering and wear... so you can imagine how surprised I was when I got to #8, and saw that these are working businesses! Big Grin

It's a very interesting series, with lots of material. I like the way you've put it together.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

They remind me of a book I read years ago of the old wild west. Cowboys, saloons, sawdust, and spitoons.
:|

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

thanks guys!
Mat, there is not much that can surprise me any more after 18 moths here, but,
NT, I wish they HAD spittoons at least!! (they use the floor)

Uli

Original and very absorbing.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/