Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Half a grandson

How on earth do you do justice to a grandson who is neither child nor man?

I tried. What do you think?

Looking forward to your responses...

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Love it, great use of negative space. I would of taken half an inch off the right side, even though you faded it out the top right corner still draws my eye.

That is a really good creative idea. Smile

What do you think about straightening it and square format?

Cheers.
Philip

i like the original the best, all of the negative space does the trick for me. room for him to grow so to speak.

Upright theme? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Hi all thanks for comments - yes, it's better straightened! And I like the upright approach but if I could get rid of the window in the top right corner I rather think I would probably stick with the extra space around the lad for the same reasons as cuilin says. The upright version raises the question, in my eye at least, of the faint corners of the attic room behind him, which I find appealing except the skirting board. Thanks for making me look more critically - Jeff

For me, a lot of the space on the left is largely redundant, doing little for the image - a thought which contributed to the reasoning for the square format. It was also rather as Beth writes - to give the boy a greater proportion of space to go into (or grow into!) on his left - i.e. on the right of the image. The upright format seems to trap him in a small cell, making both the boy and the image feel uncomfortable, rather than retaining the impression of his tentative inquisitiveness in the original.

Cheers.
Philip

Each version tells its own story: you've really made me think! In the upright version, childhood is accentuated - room to grow upwards. The square version brilliantly shows the complexity of a child, with faint shadows in different directions against the overall impression of bright expectations - here he looks a little bolder and less dwarfed by the largeness of life's unknowns. The lad is in fact adopted and still really emerging from a poor heritage in some ways (though doing well overall - he's been selected for the British Escrima or stick fighting team for instance) into what is a very bright future if he can grasp it. But can he? Will he fully emerge into his full potential? Half a grandson, yet, then? Let me call this picture: the spirit of adoption....and keep the wide angle (but lose the window). Probably! What do you think? Exciting, no? Jeff

I like the picture and the original execution Jeff. Losing the Velux would be a good idea. Not because it necessarily is a bad thing, it just detracts from the spacial concept of the high key presentation.

Best regards.

Phil.

Like the concept as well as the shot you have taken for your grandson! Dont need to do any kind of editing just the original one is perfect!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post