Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Favourite Faces

Here are a few recent portraits which I hope you'll enjoy.

[Image: IMG_0243.jpg]
1. My nephew at his sister's recent birthday party. Canon EF 135mm f/2L @ f/2, 400 ISO, 1/200sec.

[Image: IMG_0862.jpg]
2. My niece (the sister who had the birthday) showing off her new gloves. Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.8, 400 ISO, 1/1000sec.

[Image: IMG_0939.jpg]
3. It seems my nephew likes her gloves too. Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4, 1600 ISO, 1/400sec.

[Image: IMG_0556.jpg]
4. My best mate's youngest son. He screwed his face up for seemingly no reason at all at exactly the right moment for this shot, and we laughed about it all night. I can't claim this shot as my own however as I didn't actually take it (my mate did). But I did set it up, did the post processing, and held the baby while it was taken, and I'm sure he won't mind me posting it. Tongue Canon EF 135mm f/2L @ f/5, 800 ISO, 1/100sec, 430EX flash (bounced).

[Image: IMG_1257.jpg]
5. Tina's eyes. I'm not sure if this shot will 'work' for other people the same way it does for me. I tried to keep things as simple and natural as possible yet still communicate something about her in an understated way. I found this to be a shot that really grew on me over time. I wonder if it has a similar effect on other people? Canon EF 135mm f/2L @ f/2, 250 ISO, 1/250sec,

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Great! Some real classic shots. Big Grin

You make it look easy.
The baby's face made me smile out loud.
I will have to get some of those gloves.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Adrian - all are great. I particularly like 2 and 3 - they are so alive.

The shot of Tina certainly focuses you on her eyes - but the shot itself would have perhaps worked better for me as a portrait shot and not quite so direct on. However, I can understand how it could grow on you.

Thanks for posting more of your wonderful work.

Canon stuff.

Beautiful portraits all... The colors are amazing Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

wow excellent

love n3, just becuase it is not pose, very natural

christian

The baby's face cracked me up!
I love the shots of the kids, they are magical.
Tina's expression bother's me, and that it is a landscape shot- having her forehead and chin cut off and extra 'empty' space at the sides doesn't work for me either. But, it obviously has sentimental value for you- and that is what photography is REALLY all about, capturing those memories, and evoking those emotions whenever you go back to a shot like that.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Thanks for all the great feedback Smile

Especially the feedback on the shot of Tina. That's a shot I was unsure of because I realised there were many things "wrong" with it yet it still stuck in my mind long after I looked away. I wasn't sure if I liked it because of what it means to me or because of the photo itself. I did take a number of other shots at the same time, most of which were in portrait format, not chopping her head off, with her smiling and addressing most of the things "wrong" with this shot. But I kept coming back to this shot each time for some reason.
It seems like it might be one of those photos that just has a personal meaning to me, which is fine. For the record, Tina absolutely hates it! Big Grin She said it's one of the worst photos I have of her! Big Grin I still think its cool though. Tongue

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Dec 13, 2017, 15:50