Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Headshot

Was trying out some new lightmodifiers.

I figured since it was late and i didnt really have any volunteer id just take a self portrait. Couldnt hurt since i need a new one for my website.Big Grin

Setup

KeyBig Grineep Octa 100cm with deflector and 2 diffuser screens
Fill:Foamcoresheet
Kicker:130x50cm strip softbox
BG:21cm reflector with honeycombgrid and blue gel
Hair:40x55cm Photoflex XS softbox.

[Image: studio_setup.jpg]

[Image: paul_gel.jpg]

Is it a keeper? Im not really sure i want it on my web presentation.

What do you think ?

Btw it was taken with the timer function and alot of running back and forth...Big Grin
Thanx.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

I can't imagine how much work this was to take. I've tried the self-timer sprint with just one light, and setting up and taking the shot was difficult. Just getting the focus correct is a major achievement (meaning I couldn't do it Tongue) so this shot is tremendously well done. The set-up shot is also really helpful for me, since I'm cobbling together a small kit myself, and it's good to see how it all comes together. It's also great to see a master using on-camera flash. Big Grin

For the end result, though, I'm not the biggest fan of the photo. At the very least, crop or clone out the logo. The focus on your eyes looks good, but it's a little soft on your mouth. And finally, it doesn't look like you're enjoying yourself. Having your photo taken is suppose to be fun, right? (Or so the clients should expect...) As a photo for the parents or an official event, this would work, but it wouldn't be my choice for marketing.

You'll notice that I've never been game enough to post my own photo, let alone for critique, so thanks.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanx Matthew.

Yea it was a pita to get the focus right lol, still didnt get it quite right.

Im thinking of doing a little more unconventional shot for the web- presentation. I dont like they way i look when i smile, thats why im trying not to. Big Grin

Ill post my next attempt.Big Grin

Thanx for taking the time.

/Paul L.

I often use a balloon to get the focus plane right with self portraits.

One filled with helium is best with a couple of blobs of blue-tack (Like putty - used for hanging up pictures/notes etc - don't know if it's a global thing) for the eyes.

I attach a bulldog clip to the string and release it when getting into position - sometimes just pick the whole thing up and throw it to the side.

I hope that makes sense!

I does work 6 or 7 times out of 10 (with practice)

Nikon F55, Pentax K100D, Panasonic Lumix FZ20, Olympus OM1.
Darkroom Dweller.

WOW thats a great tip, seems like you have done this several times. Big Grin

/Paul L.

Very nice portrait Paul... I like it!

My only thought about it is that I would love to see a more friendlier/relaxed version, perhaps with a hint of a smile... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I agree with Matthew, must have been a tedious job to get it right .... but unfortunately I don't like the picture tooo toooooo much. Personally, I find the contrast too strong, and it appears a bit dark overall (might be this screen).
There are such deep shadows in your hair and around your eyes and at the other end of the scale, the hightlights on your cheeks look too artificial - dude, sorry to rip it apart. It's not bad at all, but if I were you, I think I wouldn't use it for web presentation, unless you want to advertise a cheep "Muckibude" (gym).

the format is the easiest thing to change, and again I second Matthew, an 8x10 or even a square would be nice.

Have you tried natural light at all?
And since your skin is a dark tone, why don't you try a lighter background, some thing like cream, off-white?

Greetings, Uli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Plantsman
Feb 26, 2015, 05:01