Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hello, I'm also back after a year....

Just returned to the site. Very friendly people here who help us who are just starting out on this adventure. I've just begun my new hobby again, and got a new camera to celebrate, not using a Canon point and shoot ($99). Went up a notch. Would like to put a couple of photos out there for critique, since I am not taking classes or training yet.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think this would be quite a difficult scene for any camera to capture in one shot, due to the vast range of brightness - from the shadow areas under the bridge, up to the dazzling sky.

The image shows some of the possible defects - the burnt out sky and its reflection, and the loss of details and washed out colours in and around those areas. Some people might like that - a sort of "high key" result.

However, I think it is a very pleasant scene, and certainly worth attempting to recover some of its more vibrant realism. Something is possible, taking care not to overdo the adjustments.

The following edit was the result of a few simple changes applied in Photoshop Elements 10, to give less glare, extra detail around the sky and its reflection, and richer woodland colours:

Cheers.
Philip

You didn't say what your new camera was or the model.
If you have an EV compensation (button hidden in the menu or on the NSEW control, then you can adjust for contrast by lowering it.
The scene itself is OK

I would take it with around -1EV and brighten the shadows in PP later.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Oct 31, 2014, 21:12)MrB Wrote:  I think this would be quite a difficult scene for any camera to capture in one shot, due to the vast range of brightness - from the shadow areas under the bridge, up to the dazzling sky.

The image shows some of the possible defects - the burnt out sky and its reflection, and the loss of details and washed out colours in and around those areas. Some people might like that - a sort of "high key" result.

However, I think it is a very pleasant scene, and certainly worth attempting to recover some of its more vibrant realism. Something is possible, taking care not to overdo the adjustments.

The following edit was the result of a few simple changes applied in Photoshop Elements 10, to give less glare, extra detail around the sky and its reflection, and richer woodland colours:

Cheers.
Philip

Hello, Philip, Not sure about the reply box, maybe this is where I reply. Thanks for the critique, I just came from the woods to get pics, and this is someone who live right on the swamp. Haven't played any with stuff, but, appreciate the comments, taken seriously. I am in to reflecftions, light and dark contrast, and natural woods, swamps, etc., right now. I will post a couple of others that are from the deep, natural woods............Pat

(Nov 1, 2014, 05:34)NT73 Wrote:  You didn't say what your new camera was or the model.
If you have an EV compensation (button hidden in the menu or on the NSEW control, then you can adjust for contrast by lowering it.
The scene itself is OK

I would take it with around -1EV and brighten the shadows in PP later.

Hello, thanks for the reply. I'm really a newbie, so learning this advanced (for me) camera - it is a Nikon Coolpix P600, not the most expensive, but a step up from a $99 point and shoot Canon. I've not learned all the goodies on it yet, but, I really like the Zoom because I can get more stuff at a distance.

Slightly different aspect, 2/3 mts, Photoshop. Seems a nice place to visit, hope to see more. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

CZ,

It's a really good composition, and composition is perhaps the most fundamental aspect of photography. Get that right (and you have) and the rest will follow on from practice. As you can see from EdMac's edit in photoshop, a lot can be done to enhance a picture, but that also is down to practice. Getting the composition right is the key element to any photograph, and you already have that ability.

So, well done. Give yourself a pat on the back, you have the potential, so use it and nurture it. You'll do well Smile

Best regards.

Phil.

(Nov 2, 2014, 09:14)Phil J Wrote:  CZ,

It's a really good composition, and composition is perhaps the most fundamental aspect of photography. Get that right (and you have) and the rest will follow on from practice. As you can see from EdMac's edit in photoshop, a lot can be done to enhance a picture, but that also is down to practice. Getting the composition right is the key element to any photograph, and you already have that ability.

So, well done. Give yourself a pat on the back, you have the potential, so use it and nurture it. You'll do well Smile

Best regards.

Phil.

Wow, Phil, I consider that a supreme compliment! I love composition of things...............Always have. I do sheet copper work/tooling. i guess I should post some of my pictures out here for critique. I'm not experienced in the new Photoshop. I know only the much older version from many years when it first started. My goal is to do an show where I live when one is advertised. Again, thanks for the compliment. You've made my day. pat

(Nov 1, 2014, 10:56)EdMak Wrote:  Slightly different aspect, 2/3 mts, Photoshop. Seems a nice place to visit, hope to see more. Ed.

EdMak, thanks for the tweak of my pic, and showing me what I can do with PS. I am a user of PS from when it first started, so, this is very mind bending to say the least to learn. I have a lot of photos from that area. It is right on the Withlachoochee, and within a swamp area (private land), so you won't see these pics anywhere else. Pat

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Oct 30, 2014, 16:44
Last Post by XeoX
Mar 8, 2007, 12:52