Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Here Goes Nothing

I hope This works. First try at putting a photo into a post.

The story: I had 2 pots of begonias outside the gate to my yard. They were finally hit by frost on Oct. 29th (very late for here) and I took a couple of photos of the wilted flowers. This is one. Shot with a Rebel XTi, I desaturated it. The flower was red/orange but remained pink while everything else went to sepia and brown. There were a couple of brown areas on the blossom that I selected and turned pink to match the rest. Some burning-in around the left, bottom & right sides then a series of borders and frames added.

I was trying to get the feeling of fading beauty without getting morbid. I wanted it to still be beautiful in it's last moments.

[Image: 2007-10-29_FirstFrost-12-2-webl.jpg]

ADK Jim

Well, that didn't work quite as I expected but clicking the link shows the photo so I guess it will suffice.

ADK Jim

Third try is the charm. Smile

ADK Jim

Hi Jim:

The distressed frame and processing works pretty well for giving theimpression you are after. Well done!

I like very much this kind of post processing and the subject here matches very nice this treatment...
I was just wondering about the frame, the gray frame... how it would be if it were a bit warmer in color... maybe taking the color from the same picture?

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

The grey results from a transparent white layer (60%) overlaid on solid borders below it which were created with colors taken from the image itself. In effect the transparent white further desaturated them. Perhaps I could tone the white area of the frame before reducing the opacity. I've never tried that but it might work. It's something to experiment with.

ADK Jim

I reckon you got the effect you wanted pretty much perfectly. Good job.

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Yep, nice frame works well with the subject there.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08