Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hi

Barbarian here. I like making images of anything with light on it. Digitally, I use a Pentax *istDS, or a Canon Powershot.

I really love classic rangefinder cameras and 120 folders, even though film is such a mess to deal with now that we have digital. My dream is that someone will develop digital backs for old Contaxes, Leicas, etc.

Hi 'Barbarian'! I use the DS. Its a great camera. I'm looking forward to seeing your shots...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Welcome to shuttertalk Smile

I know a few years ago I saw a digital device offered that droppedinto 35mm camera and replaced the film cartridge... as I remember it was very pricy and very poor quality images.

Yeah, "Digital Film". One megapixels. Company badly operated, and it died. I have many of the classic mechanical cameras, and I love them. If only they could be converted to digital. Here's a shot from the much-underrated Voigtlander Perkeo a (pocketable!) 120 rollfilm camera.

[Image: 124874568_b3b50b3936_o.jpg]

This a scan from a print, so the quality is not quite what it might be, but you get some feel for the way a large negative gives you a greater shot.

Can you get that in digital? Yep. Check out what a medium format digital back costs today. If anyone knows an inexpensive way to get a digital picture from a 120 negative, I'd like to know about it.

Welcome !!! and it nice to see another film shooter here LOL. I dont have any of the equiptment that you have but i am still shooting film LOL . Glad you are here and i love all your shots!!!

...... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Hey Barbarian... welcome to Shutttertalk! Love your avatar! Big Grin

I used to collect classic rangefinders too ... I had a couple of canonets and olympus ones...

Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay here... if you need anything, feel free to ask. Big Grin

[Image: 97792351_865f026aff.jpg]
[Image: 95093849_29b2d12ebb.jpg]
[Image: 70296717_09632ae03e.jpg]

Some of my favorites. The Voigtlander is particular good, with it's superb 1.5 Nokton.

Welcome, Barbarian.
If you have any old Kodak tips to share with me, I would appreciate it.
Mine's the Retinette IIB. Not a rangefinder, but a light meter that still works counts for something.
The lenses are supposed to be really good, right?

Despite an early fascination upon finding it in my parent's things, so far I haven't run any film through it sucessfully.
(First try, the roll was blank, no idea why)
Keith

[Image: kak.kodak_retinette2B.jpg]

Not bad. NIce Schneider-Kreuzenach 40mm Reomar lens. Synchro-Compur shutter. Those two little red tabs on the top of the lens show your depth of field, and change automatically when you change f-stops.

Fairly unusual to see one with the meter still working, although the selenium cells in Retinas and Retinettes are a bit more durable than most. (Retinettes were a lower-cost verion of Retinas, with few features, like rangefinders) The Retina and Retinette lines were high-quality cameras.

My guess is that this one was sold in Germany in a PX.

Edited to add:
If you didn't get anything at all on your film, most likely you didn't get the leader tucked tightly in the take-up spool. Wind once to be sure it's tight before closing the back. The other potential problem is the shutter. Open the back, and look in as you trip the shutter at a light source, to be sure it's working.