Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Highlights of the wedding... :)

Before I tell you the story of the shooting... I want to thank a lot everyone who gave me information, and encourraged me to buy my flip it and diffuser... They worked fantastic!! ... Smile

The wedding was great. It was in an old house, that was converted into an Antik cafe. Brick walls, lots of things hanging in the wall, wooden ceiling and old chandeliers make the place very special... I could spend days taking pictures of all decorations. But at the same time, all that makes so difficult to take pictures in a wedding. Everything is in your way and the background will be always a bit distracting...

I promised myself not to clone out anything but to leave the pictures as they were, otherwise I would take months to finish my pictures. What I did in some cases was to crop a bit tight, so there wasn't much room for distractions in the background. I took 285 pictures and 60 are the good ones, at least the ones I have worked with to see if the go in the album.

To be consistent with the post processing I have worked with G's pictures too, they are more or less 100 out of 365. So it has been a lot of work but at least I have finished just now. But I can't go to bed before showing you "me" pictures... Wink

About my gear, my camera worked beautifully, and so did my flash. I took three sets of four rechargable batteries plus the set I had in my flash and I did all the shooting with only one set! I was very surprised how much they lasted. The only problem I had was about focusing. The place was a bit dark so it wasn't easy at times to focus fast.

I have lots of questions about my work with flash but I will post them later.

So, here you have the result... Smile

I know I could work an HDR to give more detail to the window, but I didn't have time. I think the window has enough detail anyway.
[Image: IMG_3319-Edit-Edit.jpg]

This is the only picture I treated with this BW post processing. I feel this treatment fit best the picture. One of my favorite btw.
[Image: IMG_3337-Edit-2.jpg]

The dress was great because the fabric wasn't shinny so I could get nice whites on it.
[Image: IMG_3349-Edit.jpg]

I took these with my flip it! I like the light.
[Image: IMG_3364-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3375-Edit.jpg]

This way my kind of sepia treatment.
[Image: IMG_3384-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3450-Edit.jpg]

This picture was a bit soft, but I liked it very much, specially because one of the men behind her is her father .... Anyway I treated it to see if it looks good in print.
[Image: IMG_3484-Edit.jpg]

... and now I am off to bed... Wink

Thanks so much for looking ... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I love shots 2,3, and 4. Honestly I'm the new guy on the block when it comes to photography, but from what I see you are doing quite well with those shots.

Hope the couple are happily married for a long time.

D.J.

Great job Irma.
I know you said you were not going to remove anything, but the half photoframes on the left hand side wall in #3 are a wee bit distracting. I keep looking at them, instead of the bride and groom.
The others are fine, for me anyway.
#6 with the coffee pot, she looks like she is wondering if she did the right thing. Big Grin
I am sure she did.Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

2 and 3 are very nice Irma. Glad you had such a wonderful couple for your first one. She looks very besutiful.

Did you have a chance to try out the shot on the bench seat?

Canon stuff.

Hi Irma:

I am probably the worst person when it comes to wedding photos to comment - others do it so much better than me. My fav is definitely #2 - the groom's smile is so natural and unforced - he is clearly enjoying the moment with the guest. The portrait in #8 is also quite nice. The closed eyes in $6 look accidental to me and so that one is the one I like the least. I think the B&W and sepia treatments work very well overall.

Well done!

Thanks so much for your comments... Smile

DJ
Welcome to Shuttertalk... Smile
Thanks for your comment! I like a lot #4 because of the colors of the trees in the background. There was a beautiful red tree just in the street front, that helped a lot for this pictures. They were about to play a game at this moment.

NT
You are right, by clonning those distractions. I think I will have time to do a second review.. Wink They will be on honeymoon for a week, so I'll have time to work a bit more in details.. Smile

Chris... Smile
Unfortunatelly the weather was not in my side in this shooting and the picture of them in the bench was not possible. At the time we were out it was so windy. Days before the wedding was raining and the garden in the Cafe was so muddy... I went to look for a bench or a place where to have them alone for the picture but there were no place. Everything was already tidy up for winter. I took this pictures out, becuase they had to cut a heart painted in a sheet.

I remembered you so much Chris in this shooting. Now that I have done it, I admire even more your work, your pictures. There were few times where I felt intrusive, when to stop taking pictures, when you are missing the best picture. The flash was a bit a disadvantage.

In the technical aspect, I am sure I did a lot of mistakes. In one point I was taking my pictures with iso 500 and 800 because the looked so dark... I only hope in the prints everything looks fine.

Toad...
At the time of the toast everyone was out of place in small groups and I was lucky to have this scene available at this moment. I didn't see the scene in #6, it just appear in my pictures. I like it because it looks uncommon... Smile I am happy you like the sepia and BW treatments.

Thanks again for your kind comments...

Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma,

It is always a challenge to photograph a wedding. Today would probably be about my 60th wedding I think and I still get nervous Smile

Don't worry about noise - you hardly see it in the prints. The 5D is one of the best noise free cameras out there. I regularly shoot mine at 1600 ISO and even 3200 ISO. As long as the exposure is good the prints look great. The most important thing at high ISO is to expose correctly and shoot RAW.

Sorry to hear about the weather Sad

I am sure you have somw more wonderful photos to show. Look forward to seeing them.

Canon stuff.

Irma, those photos are really great. The couple comes across really nicely, and the interaction that you've caught is very engaging.

My only thought is that the dress (which I really like) is catching a blue cast in #4. The skin tones look good, so I suspect that it's a reflection... but either way, I find it a little distracting. (Non-photographers may not even see it.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Lovely!
I think that you did well to get in close here...these have a feeling of intimacy as a result, that is often missing as people hide behind longer lenses. I do like the combination of this intimacy with the monochrome/sepia treatment.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Chris,
I am so happy you confirm what I have learned through a lot of work and wrong pictures.
You are right about the iso. I have seen that iso hurts less your picture if your picture is well exposed, than if you have to repair your exposure in LR.

Matt,
Thanks so much for your comment... You are right about the blue in the dress.. I will repair it. It might be also that my reflector in the flash was not in good possition.

Zig,
Thank you.. Smile

I am very happy you like these pictures and the treatment... Smile
I used my 24-105mm lens and I think it did a good job here.

Paul Cezanne

Beautiful Irma. You should be very happy. Big Grin

As Zig says, you really give the viewer a sense of intimacy with these shots by using a wider lens.
I particularly like 2, 5 and 7.
Unfortunately you can't do much about the weather, but the indoor setting gives a really charming and unique feel to the wedding which is wonderful.

Oh, and I just placed an order for a Demb flash diffuser based on yours and Chris' recommendations! I have a couple of home-made ones which work well but are a bit cumbersome. That Demb one looks very convenient and flexible.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Thanks Kombi for your comment... Smile

#7 is a very sweet picture I think, and shows nicely her dress.

Great that you placed your order to get your diffusers. I have used them for macro photography and they are very useful too...

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by shumicse
Jul 15, 2016, 03:25
Last Post by EdMak
Nov 10, 2013, 14:35