Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Highways Photos from March

After a three week period of not shooting anything but snapshots, I finally had a night with partly-cloudy skies and an excuse to drive halfway across town.
It felt good to be shooting again.
I made 6 exposures in four minutes and here's the results:

[Image: kak.281a.jpg]
I need to do some more detail work on this before printing--like the lens flare. Tongue Oops...

Two views of the same subject--Which do you like best? I can't decide.
[Image: kak.281b.jpg]

[Image: kak.281c.jpg]

This one is too similar to an earlier photo to be used but I'll just post it anyway:
[Image: kak.281d.jpg]

Thanks for looking and sharing your thoughts. I need at least one of these for my 'Highways At Night' gallery show in early May, but may be able to re-shoot this location before then.

Keith, I really enjoy your highway shots.

Out of these, 4 is probably my fav, but you say it is to similar to a previous one.
In 1, what distracts me is less the lense flare than the slight blur of the front edge of the concrete.
2 and 3 are interesting for their structure and composition. Personally I don't find them as elegant as the ohter kind, and somehow there is no room for your eye to wonder, but if the ensemble you show is well chosen, one of these might fit in just right.
In which case I think I would chose to show 3, I the light is more vivid than 2.

Uli

I like very much your work with lines in #3 Keith.

#4 is great. Simple but very elegant! However, I would do something to get the verticals straight, or was this deliberate?

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

My vote is for #2. I prefer the perspective in it, and it keeps the wooden platforms within the image. Since these add a unique feature to this location, they're worth featuring. I also like the way that the overpass fills the frame, versus the third with more sky and the highway splitting off as an afterthought. I do prefer the colours and contrast in #3, but that's something that needs to fit in with the rest of the series so there really isn't a 'good' or 'bad' interpretation as long as they all work together.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

'2 views of the same subject.' I prefer the first. The second makes me screw my head sideways.
It is a good project you are doing with nice colours. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Good stuff; I'd say keep the flare as it works well. 2 and 3: I was wondering what they'd be like in mono: mind you, I also like the complementary colours I must admit.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Between #2 and #3 I think 2 is better. The brighter line from the lower left to upper right in 3 tends to pull your attention to the upper right and out of the image. The angles in 2 however converge nicely to keep your eye in th center. Photo #4 is nice too.

ADK Jim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post