Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hogwarts Tree Infra-red

Well, to be honest, faux IR.
As you can see, it's Lacock Abbey house as in my posts passim...and at 21mm, though the crop doesn't suggest the wide angle.

Workflow for those interested: I under-exposed the initial conversion from raw to tiff by 2 stops, which drastically darkened the tree and building...but I had to do this to deepen the sky.
I then ramped up the saturation by +20.
Then I contrast-masked the image(that is: duplicated as a layer, then desaturated and inverted the layer followed by applying maximum gaussian blur, then fading the layer into the background in Overlay mode with the opacity slider)....
...by the way, contrast-masking may sound a fiddle, but it is not; I strongly recommend an investigation of this technique for those who've not tried it...
Then I had to bring the darks down by going to the Shadows/Highlights menu.
Then I pulled down a black grad in Soft Light mode, finally dodging in highlights on the sky, grass and building to whiten, also then blurring the whites.
Finally I converted to black and white, simulating red filtration to darken the blue sky(red being opposite to blue on the colour wheel, allowing no light to come through, hence the resulting blacks);
A quick blat of contrast, a mere smidge of smart-sharpen, and we're done.

[Image: 1754abbeytreeWeb_c.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Dear Zig, your white&black photograps are so impressive, and I like what you are doing. About this one, trees are always so interesting and meaningful for me, and this tree is amazing! With the clouds of the sky, to be honest, just I didn't like the house, I can't explain why, but the tree is great, maybe I want to be focus on it only Smile

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by webber
Oct 6, 2018, 09:53