Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Homesick Blues

Sitting here in cold, rainy Oregon with my family all nice and warm on our island, I was looking back at my photo's and came down with the worst case of the blues today... I can't seem to shake off the thoughts of home and it's beauty, wonderful people, and my family.... I decided that I would put together a collage of photo's of home and let you see how I live and what I see. This is some of home, some of family, and some of the botany and scenery of Raiatea... I hope that you will like this...

This sunset is typical of our winter sunsets, at the time this was taken, it was almost the equinox and we had just had a rain squall pass through a little earlier... The island in the lower right is Bora Bora the shot was taken from the family dock on the lagoon.

[Image: 80940323-L.jpg]

Here is a photo of my friend Toby, he like me is an avid fisherman, but unlike me only uses his head.. Dogs in the family spend a lot of time in the water, but I had never seen a dog like Toby who actually catches minnows. Dogs at home don't get very much dog food, we will boil up fish and mix that with rice or we will grate coconuts or cut the nuts in half with an axe and use a copra knife to remove the copra from the shell and will break that up into chunks for the dogs to eat...

[Image: 80940021-L.jpg]

This is the common outrigger canoe used as the family truck, or transportation. Almost every family has at least one of these to travel to our neighbor island, or go to sea and fish with. This family had a load of fish in Igloos that they were air freighting to family members on the island of Tahiti.. The name of this boat is Rau Tiare or medicine flower...

[Image: 80940289-L.jpg]

This was taken from my daughters home one morning. Sometimes the sunrises can be so very beautiful that you wish they could continue all day long...

I called this Morning Has Broken

[Image: 67483776-M.jpg]

This is a photo of the Pandanus or in Tahitian, the Fara tree. Its fronds are used in making panels for roof's, split and woven into hats, mats, and even floor coverings called pe'uwes. In hard times the fruits can be crushed soaked in fresh water and the starch would be separated and used for food.

[Image: 80939987-L.jpg]

'Nuff for now, and will ad on when I can, if you might like to see more

It is a beautiful place.
Your sunset picture is beautiful, I love sky pictures specially with dramatic clouds... Smile

After seeing these pictures, it is very easy to understand how you are homesick, in Oregon...

It happens the same to me, I am from Mexico and live in Germany. I miss so much my country specially in winter time. I also go to my pictures I took there, and play salsa music to cheer up a bit... Wink

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Nice set of pics.
The sunsets may be equatorial, as my wife and I got similar ones in the Maldives a few years back.
Homesick? I can cope with it myself but it always seems nice to get back to within a mile of home. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Wonderful images of your home maheanuu. I can see why you miss being there.
The sunrise / sunsets are stunning.

Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

I would love to visit this beautiful place.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Rabid Penguin
Jul 26, 2007, 19:33
Last Post by navis01
Apr 25, 2007, 07:59