Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mother, Daughter, and Scout (the horse)

I was out shooting with a friend today, and we wandered down towards a paddock and some stables to try to get a few interesting horse photos through the fence.
We met a mother and her daughter who were there tending to the horses, and ended up chatting to them a while and taking photos of not just the horses but them as well.

They were friendly, uncomplicated, open people and it was lovely to have a chat. I was very happy to be able to take a nice portrait of them, and I'm still amazed how relaxed and comfortable they look considering a complete stranger (me) was pointing a camera at them. I got their email address to send them a copy of some shots to say thanks.

[Image: IMG_6683.jpg]
1. Canon EF 135mm f/2L (190mm equiv) @ f/2.0, 1/180th sec, 1600 ISO.

[Image: IMG_6636.jpg]
2. Sigma 28mm f/1.8 (45mm equiv) @ f/2.5, 1/180th sec, 400 ISO.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I am sure they will be delighted with these shots. Well done.

WoW, these are great Kombi!

1. image
great dof, and refelections in both their eyes, wich makes them look alive. The pp works great. very appealing photo, great work!, add the fact that these where people you didnt know!

2.image
The pp adds to the surreal look of this image, the vingetting works very well. I just love this image, its a very powerful image.

Thanx for sharing.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Very beautiful pictures both! Smile

I like very much your sepia post processing... very fine treatment Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Excellent work, Adrian. The portrait is striking, and so is the horse. Especially the lighting is amazing in the second shot.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Wow, photo of the horsie is stunning. I love the "glow" in the photo, and there's so much detail and interesting bits in the frame.

Absolutely beautiful!

both are nice photos. they have a relaxing ( peaceful ) feel to them. I enjoyed looking at them.

....... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

hi

very very nice, the only small problem that i see it is the legs of the horse.

thanks for sharing

Both great shots Kombi The horse shot is very emotive with lots of interest. The sigma proves its worth with that shot...........Smile

Thanks for the feedback.
Little unexpected encounters with strangers like this can make photography so interesting, and I feel very happy when some worthwhile shots can result from them. They provide great motivation for me to just walk out the front door and start shooting with both eyes open, waiting for the shots to unfold in front of me.

byrt_001 Wrote:the only small problem that i see it is the legs of the horse.
hahaha.. I was waiting for this! I nearly said something about it when I posted the shot, but didn't want to draw attention to it and also wanted to see if anyone else picked me up on it.
You're absolutely right Byrt, I would have preferred to get the horses feet in. But I was using a prime lens, was leaning over a fence and couldn't walk backwards much without getting the fence in the shot, and I was concentrating on getting all of the poles in the top of the frame. It was a choice between including all of the poles or all of the horse, and I chose the poles. In hindsight perhaps I'd have been better off choosing the horse, but never mind.

G... The lighting of the whole place was really nice. It was very late afternoon, just near the end of the "golden hour". The sun had gone down over the tree-line so there was no direct sunlight any more, but still a lovely soft golden light from the sky. That first shot was taken just before I left, and you can see from the EXIF data that the light was starting to fade (f/2 and 1600 ISO).

Jules.. I must admit that part of that "glow" is due to my PP (curves to bring out the tones on the horse and vignetting around the whole image). I do really like the various elements in the shot though, especially the five vertical poles along the top. The middle pole combines with the horizontal fence line and the horses front leg to form a cross that draws the eye towards the horse's head in the middle of the image (well I think so anyway! Tongue).

Below is a colour version of the same shot. I've also included another shot which I can't quite make my mind up about.
I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on these shots (feel free to be critical - I'm not really "showcasing" these shots).

Thanks
Adrian

[Image: IMG_6636_Col.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6650.jpg]

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Very nice photos Adrian. The vignetting is nice and adds to the photos too.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Great shots. Nice series.

hi adrian

you can not believe this, but when i look at the shot with the horse (n2) i could almost read your mind. no more space.

what are those poles for anyway? those are so important in this the shot, have you tryed to crop them? the photo looses all the composition and looks empty.

Thanks for sharing your work.

They are beautiful shots, Kombi.
I'm getting cranky cos none of my recent shots have come out any good, but your work always inspires me to try harder

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Adrian - the first shot is lovely. I am with Christian on the second shot - the horse looks like it is growing out of the ground.

Did I say the first shot is lovely? It is really great.

The fourth shot doesn't really grab me.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Lovely as always Kombi.......... brilliant as usual, i'm sure they will love the shots.

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GrahamS
Jan 31, 2017, 05:17
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Dec 7, 2015, 22:48
Last Post by Plantsman
Nov 13, 2014, 04:53