Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How Many Cameras?

Over the years I have owned a total of 18 Cameras, which works out to 1 every two years Since I got my first.... of Course 13 of those have been in the last 10 years which swings that average a bit!

4 Kodak (2 Film, 2 Digital)
9 Canon (2 Film, 7 Digital)
2 Fuji (Digital)
2 Olympus (Digital)
1 Bushnell (Binoculars with built-in Digital Camera)

I currently still own 6 of them.

I've owned 9 or 10 lenses over the different cameras, currently still have 7 of those.

So fess up, anyone else a gear hoarder?

Although I don't still have all the photo gear I have owned, I'm definitely a hoarder -

Film - An Olympus Trip point-and-shoot; a couple of Pentax SLRs; a Contax SLR.

Digital - A Canon and an Olympus point-and-shoot; a Panasonic high-quality compact; a couple of Pentax DSLRs.

Since returning to photography a few years ago as a main retirement pastime, I have acquired quite a collection of Pentax lenses, not only modern ones but also several film era lenses (cheaply on ebay) that work well on digital, although some require more manual control than others.

Cheers.
Philip

Craig, at last count my tally was 123 film cameras and 8 digital of which I still own 57 film cameras and three digital.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Your buying to collect I'm guessing Graham, surely not for regular use? But thanks for the numbers, they will be used to justify my next purchase to the wife! ?

(Dec 22, 2016, 00:33)EnglishBob Wrote:  Over the years I have owned a total of 18 Cameras, which works out to 1 every two years Since I got my first.... of Course 13 of those have been in the last 10 years which swings that average a bit!

2 Fuji (Digital)
2 Olympus (Digital)

I've owned 9 or 10 lenses over the different cameras, currently still have 7 of those.

I have to confess, I have rarely got rid of a camera, except on one occasion.
I started out with  a Canon T50, then T70, before upgrading to a T90 (The best camera I have ever owned.)
I then got an old A1 with power winder, and an AE-1 Program too. I suppose I wanted the set! Along with these, I had six lenses, including two zooms, two wide primes, a 50mm f1.4, a 400mm f5.6, and an accessory flash. I also collected the Olympus 'clamshell cameras', the XA, XA-1, and XA-2. Then I got the complete kit of the Pentax Auto 110, won a Praktica BMS in a competition, and received a lovely old Exakta as a gift. I bought a used Lubitel 6 x 6, some ancient Brownies, and other collectibles. 
Then I decided to 'go autofocus', with a Minolta Dynax 7, and the 24-105 zoom. I exchanged the Canon gear for it, and hardly had to pay any extra. But I kept everything else. Some years later, I reluctantly 'went digital'. First was an Olympus superzoom bridge camera, then a Fuji S5 Pro, with a Nikon short zoom and large Nikon flashgun. I recently added a Fuji X30 compact, and I am in the process of considering the purchase of the new Panasonic G80. Other than the canon kit, I still have everything, mostly in boxes in the loft. I doubt I will ever part with it now, as I am 65.
Sometimes, the equipment can be as pleasurable to look at as the photos...
Regards, Pete.

I have five cameras at the moment - which is probably four too many!

The Nikon D7100 which I turn to 90% of the time. I have 5 lenses - 35 / 50 / 90 primes, an 18-55 kit, and a 70-300 zoom.

I also have a Nikon D5100, which I've ever bonded with, but I keep it as it's the only camera I have with a swivel screen which means it's good for my music video-selfies.

A while back I was seduced by all the Fuji hype and I bought an X-Pro1 on eBay. I have 18 and 35 primes and an 18-55 zoom.

I also have a Fuji x100s.

And lastly I bought a tiny little Panasonic GM1 with a 12-35mm lens as a carry round.

I can't see me buying anything in addition to these. Together they do all that I need. I love the D7100 but wish it had a tilting / swivelling screen. I also love the way one cam review images on the EVF on mirrorless cameras. If the D7100 did those two things it would be my perfect camera.

(Dec 22, 2016, 00:33)EnglishBob Wrote:  Over the years I have owned a total of 18 Cameras, which works out to 1 every two years Since I got my first.... of Course 13 of those have been in the last 10 years which swings that average a bit!

2 Fuji (Digital)
2 Olympus (Digital)

Camera history
Praktika MTL 5 1983 bought from Insurance payout for my bike being stolen as a student !!!!
Pentax P30... 1985 Graduated and improved on the Praktika
Pentax Z1......1992 till I went Digital in 2003 .......the best I ever had and some of its photo's are still my best. (Also had a Z-10 as a second body to fix on tripod with a cheap F8 mirror 600mm lens for motor racing)
Pentax istD. 2003 Pentax first Digital...and great at the time albeit an expensive upgrade when bought it for £1400.
Pentax K20... 2009 to update and continue use with Pentax Lenses.
Defected to Nikon in 2013 to go Full Frame...D800
Added Second Body to assist at motor sport ..Second Hand D4

Still got full Pentax Kit in a bag ..lives in my car all the time.."just in case"....
serious work or pleasure use the Nikons
.. a mere 8 over 34 years ...Not too bad And I've still got 3 out of 8

1 70's German Hanimex < I think. will a lot of lens. Stored in garage.
1 Small Canon Point and Shoot, don't remember the name, keep it in the boat.
1 Minkota Dimage Z6 in the truck
1 Canon G16 in the tank bag of my motorcycle
1 Canon SX50
1 Canon 3Ti Both of them in my room.
1 Galaxy Cell phone with inbread camera , sometimes in my pocket, sometimes can be anywhere so I don't trash it.
Most used camera is the G16.

I guess I am the only one who doesnt have many cameras!

I only have one "professional" camera as well. I have a Canon Rebel SL1 which I finally purchased just a short time ago. Cool

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Jan 30, 2017, 05:04)shumicse Wrote:  I guess I am the only one who doesnt have many cameras!

I have only one, Sony a290, & 18-200mm Tamron Lens. Ed

To each his own!

(Jan 30, 2017, 14:50)EdMak Wrote:  
(Jan 30, 2017, 05:04)shumicse Wrote:  I guess I am the only one who doesnt have many cameras!

I have only one, Sony a290, & 18-200mm Tamron Lens. Ed

Which goes to prove, 'it's the photographer who makes the shot, the camera is just a tool'. This can be easily substantiated by taking a look at the amazing quality ans consistency produced by Ed.

Best regards.

Phil.

When I look at the posts above, I was a bit wrong, I was referring to Digital.
I do have about 40 roll/35mm film cameras, and, two 10 x 8 sheet film cameras.
Mission this year, is to get rid of them, been saying this for 15/16 years. Ed.

To each his own!

"Mission this year, is to get rid of them, been saying this for 15/16 years. Ed."
If you do that, you won't own a "proper" camera!

GrahamS

Still have the old Hanimex 35 with several lens and attachments I picked up in the mid '70s in the garage. Somewhere's in the house, the first diget camera that was a freebee  HP with 1 mpixel. A Nikon point and shoot sitting in the garage somewheres, Dimage Minolta Z6 in the truck. The newer batch, all Canon's, in my office at present. G16, XS 50, 3Ti.  Most used was the G16 while traveling for years via motorcycle. Now Learning the XS50 and 3Ti more and more since off the bikes.

(Feb 8, 2017, 07:33)achesley43@gmail.com Wrote:  Still have the old Hanimex 35 with several lens and attachments I picked up in the mid '70s in the garage. Somewhere's in the house, the first diget camera that was a freebee  HP with 1 mpixel. A Nikon point and shoot sitting in the garage somewheres, Dimage Minolta Z6 in the truck. The newer batch, all Canon's, in my office at present. G16, XS 50, 3Ti.  Most used was the G16 while traveling for years via motorcycle. Now Learning the XS50 and 3Ti more and more since off the bikes.

Ashley, I wouldn't publish my e-mail address on-line as my screen name, if I were you. Just say'n.....

GrahamS

Second and Third that. Ed.

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post