Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to protect your lens?

Hello

Looking for various tips/suggestions on how everyone out here is protecting their expensive lens?

Cheers
Samy

At studio or when not in use I put my gears in a drybox that is well controlled temp. When going for long bumpy travel use Pelican cases with silicon gel for moist. Or atleast try to stuff your gears with cushions to protect it self from unwanted contusions from the environment.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Jul 16, 2013, 16:22)samyshah Wrote:  Hello

Looking for various tips/suggestions on how everyone out here is protecting their expensive lens?

Cheers
Samy

I always keep a lens hood on the lens. If not in use it goes in a padded lens case. I have Canon lenses and the bags they supply for most of their lenses are worthless so I buy good ones. I also have UV protection on my lenses but I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Have fun. Mike

I have a protective UV filter on both my lenses that keeps them safe and clean, I hear it's recommended for all lenses. Smile

(Jul 24, 2013, 00:49)kNox Wrote:  I have a protective UV filter on both my lenses that keeps them safe and clean, I hear it's recommended for all lenses. Smile

Couldn't agree more. UV filters are a great way to keep lenses safe and clean, especially when you are shooting in places where you can't control conditions like water drops or dirt.

Yeah I agree with that. Using UV filter really protect your front lens from scratches, dust and some unwanted elements that might get to damaged your lens. But make sure guys that the UV filter you bought is a Multicoated filter. This kind of filter is coated with the same coating is your lens does. In comparison: regular filter tends to have this white or hazy or cloudy looks sometimes when light over throws your lens but with the multi coated its like you have an extended front lens for protection purpose only. So it doesn't affect your image after all.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Jul 30, 2013, 17:38)PhotoPlay Wrote:  ...regular filter tends to have this white or hazy or cloudy looks sometimes when light over throws your lens ...

But hazy and cloudy is good Big Grin

(Jul 16, 2013, 16:22)samyshah Wrote:  Hello

Cheers
Samy

Get an Ultra Violet filter, they are cheap, do not affect the exposure, can be left on permanently and protect your lens

hi all, ok reading your posts in this discussion, i will have to go and purchase a uv filter?! now which would you recommend? also after repeated us of my beloved digital eye, i must now be brave and clean it, any good recommendations on what to use that would get the best results? Smile

Also good idea to keep the lens hood on when the lens is on the camera. Prevents knocks. And lock the lens when not in use, if it has a lock on it. Don’t try changing lenses on the hoof. One will invariably end up on the deck.

thanks for the advice i always keep the cap on, i purchased a shoulder back pack for my dslr well padded, with removable sticky pads etc, the hardest part is keep my kids away from it lol

(Aug 27, 2013, 16:18)funkymunky Wrote:  hi all, ok reading your posts in this discussion, i will have to go and purchase a uv filter?! now which would you recommend? also after repeated us of my beloved digital eye, i must now be brave and clean it, any good recommendations on what to use that would get the best results? Smile

Make sure it's glass, not plastic.
And you typically get what you pay for.
Don't skimp.
Putting a cheap filter in front of your expensive glass makes no sense.
Hoya, B&W are a couple of high quality brands.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

thank u i will be having a look at those bands Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55