Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Huge Snowstorm For Fogo Island, Newfoundland!!

Yup, that's right! 35cm of the white stuff is predicted to fall by morning! And winds of 120km/h. Quite a change after a couple of weeks of warm, sunny, barbequing weather! It just started about half an hour ago, and we have about an inch on the ground so far. Oh well, it might make for some interesting photos by tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's a shot from a few days ago. It was getting dark, yet the sky was still a gorgeous orange/red, and I loved the way the trees on the little island were silhouetted against the red sky. As you can see there is still lots of pack ice floating around.
Taken handheld at ISO80, 1/60 sec, F4.0 with my Sony DSC-H50

Glen
http://www.focusonnewfoundland.com

[Image: DSC03568a800pix.jpg]

Hi, Glen!

This is a great image. I reallly love the colour of the sky, the blue tinged ice and the reflections in the foreground. A perfect exposure to set the mood.

A big dump of snow coming your way? Here, today, it's sunny and relatively warm. Hard to believe we're living in the same counrty.

Regards.....Dennis

I am a huge fan of your stuff, Camper - so forgive me if I am critical. Sometimes, we tend to use HDR too much - so we can't even properly see the photo (I say "we" because I do it too). On this photo, the HDR that allows me to see the 10-12 objects in the black doesn't look right to me - I should not be able to see that much detail in the black.

Please forgive me for being critical - I tend to let people run their own way with arty photos unless they ask for advice in "Critique" I tend to go overboard with HDR myself - so I am sensitive to it....

Sorry to disappoint Toad, but there is no HDR in this pic, or any other of mine. I don't know how to do HDR, nor want to learn, For this image I cropped, increased contrast and brightness a LITTLE bit, and used unsharp mask. Oh, and a touch of increase to saturation.
Glen

My mistake. Sorry. I guess you can easily disregard the rest of the critique then... :/

That's OK Toad. I have an awful case of the flu right now, but when I feel a bit better I can post the original shot for you; it looks almost exactly the same as the posted one, only sharper.
BTW, the snow came... lots of it! Well over a foot and whipped into big drifts. Our car is buried and I can't shovel it as I'm in bed sick! I only wish I could get out there and take pictures of it! Hard to believe it's May. We were partying on our deck a month ago!
Glen

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GrahamS
Apr 7, 2019, 03:58