Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I need critique

Since I'm so new, I'm learning, but, I love light and shadow and relfections, and I took this photo in the swamp where I live and made it black and white in Gimp (just learning Gimp. Would welcome suggestions, critique to make it better. Thanks

Hello and welcome to shuttertalk czkid. Basically saving it to gimp than jpeg is a good question. I have no Idea what gimp can do than jpeg. On you composition I really do like the reflection. Probably I wider perspective instead cropped image would give or emphasize more of a wider view. but thats just me Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

The overall image is a bit over exposed, hence the burnt out trees, the reflected image is about what the correct exposure is. Gimp has the capability to "cure" this, from memory. Try a bit more sharpening also. It's not really far away, and, worth pursuing. Welcome. Ed.

(Sep 23, 2013, 01:57)EdMak Wrote:  The overall image is a bit over exposed, hence the burnt out trees, the reflected image is about what the correct exposure is. Gimp has the capability to "cure" this, from memory. Try a bit more sharpening also. It's not really far away, and, worth pursuing. Welcome. Ed.

Thank you, Ed. I am happy to be here. On my overexposure, that is 9:00 a.m. sunlight shining on the trees in the swamp (and I was standing in the muck, LOL) with a myriad of variations in light and shadow. The actual sunlight looks better in color. I'm still learning what is "artistic" in the photo world. I like Gimp2, but it's hard to learn. My goal is to get Photoshop when I have $$$$. I hope I am posting this in the right place; I also am not well-versed in the social media and places to post responses. Please bear with me. I will sharpen it. I really prefer sharper pics. Again, I appreciate your time. I'm having lots of fun.

(Sep 22, 2013, 23:47)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Hello and welcome to shuttertalk czkid. Basically saving it to gimp than jpeg is a good question. I have no Idea what gimp can do than jpeg. On you composition I really do like the reflection. Probably I wider perspective instead cropped image would give or emphasize more of a wider view. but thats just me Smile

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them. I am using a cheap $99 point and shoot Canon with settings I can change. I debated wider, but opted to take vertical instead of horizontal. I hope to get better equipment soon. I do have a mentor who will be teaching me in the near future. I like Gimp, just started using it yesterday. Lots to learn, but it is powerful.

It was my intention to send you a Link to this, but no details available on your Profile. So! this is Photoshop, remember your file size, for uploading was, 99Kb, much better result from original. Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi, If you are only just starting, and using a point and shoot compact, then you are doing fine. If camera has controls then always go for slightly under expose rather than over. You can always find detail in the shadows but never get it back from a burn out image.
I think the composition is ok. Bit more contrast and a little bit of sharpening would make a better image, but its good. Digital images usually always need a bit of sharpening.

I'm really curious to see how the original photo looks like..

(Sep 23, 2013, 04:31)EdMak Wrote:  It was my intention to send you a Link to this, but no details available on your Profile. So! this is Photoshop, remember your file size, for uploading was, 99Kb, much better result from original. Cheers. Ed.

Thanks, I love what you did in Photoshop with it, and, actually you can tell I'm really green at this, but, I thought the light reflection was cool because it was the actual tree and then the water reflection showed the tree without the bright exposure, what do I want to say, reflection? I guess it's the artist in me...............I do see what you mean, though. It's really beautiful in color, but, I wanted to try B&W. Thanks again. Pat

(Sep 23, 2013, 13:12)Dean Wrote:  Hi, If you are only just starting, and using a point and shoot compact, then you are doing fine. If camera has controls then always go for slightly under expose rather than over. You can always find detail in the shadows but never get it back from a burn out image.
I think the composition is ok. Bit more contrast and a little bit of sharpening would make a better image, but its good. Digital images usually always need a bit of sharpening.

Thank you, Dean. I am paying attention to all my critiques. I'm beginning my new avocation in life at 70 -- photography. You know, I took that standing in the muck, watching out for the moccasins. Pat

(Sep 23, 2013, 17:34)Korry Wrote:  I'm really curious to see how the original photo looks like..
Hi Korry, thanks for the reply. I will attach two in color for you to see. I'm having so much fun! Tell lme what you think. Pat Oh, I was standing in the muck and watching out for moccasins.................

Attached Files Image(s)

Like to see the colour version Pat. I assume "moccasins", are not the kind you wear!!!! Regards. Ed.

(Sep 24, 2013, 01:14)EdMak Wrote:  Like to see the colour version Pat. I assume "moccasins", are not the kind you wear!!!! Regards. Ed.
Hi Ed, here are the pics in color, and taken without any adjustments. As I said, I see "light" and "shadows" and "reflections" and I kind of shy away from sharpening them. I can, but, then they look like everyone elses, and that's not original, don't you think? correct me if I'm wrong, as I've said, I'm inexperienced and see these pics as oil paintings. Pat Two attachments if I can get them to fit. Bear with me.

(Sep 24, 2013, 01:14)EdMak Wrote:  Like to see the colour version Pat. I assume "moccasins", are not the kind you wear!!!! Regards. Ed.
Hi Ed, here are the pics in color, and taken without any adjustments. As I said, I see "light" and "shadows" and "reflections" and I kind of shy away from sharpening them. I can, but, then they look like everyone elses, and that's not original, don't you think? correct me if I'm wrong, as I've said, I'm inexperienced and see these pics as oil paintings. Pat Two attachments if I can get them to fit. Bear with me.

Attached Files Image(s)

Much prefer the colour, great to see a different environment. Thanks. Ed.

Is the camera a straight point and shot and if it is then you will not be able to override the settings but if you can take the camera off the auto setting and put it on the manual(m) setting then you can take control of just what the camera see and how it takes pictures. Set the Aperture to a higher number and it closes the amount of light that gets into the camera then let the shutter stay open a bit longer and the picture should be a bit sharper. I think that a lot of us use the software to make our pictures better but as I have said to others in the past the place to make the picture good or great is in the camera... What was it I read just a while ago " it is the 12 inches behind the camera that is the most important"
I came out of the film era and with the cost of film and developing it made people slow down and study what they were going to take a picture of the developing was free for me I owned a full dark room of equipment but this is the way that I still lock at it today. But anyway you will improve as time progresses and at least today it is free to mess up a few pictures it only cost you your time. Good luck and stay away from those snakes .....

(Sep 24, 2013, 09:36)EdMak Wrote:  Much prefer the colour, great to see a different environment. Thanks. Ed.
Thanks, Ed, I do too, but, I'm playing with B&W to see what I can do, and I still have to wait to get my more "expensive equipment". Have a nice day. Pat

(Sep 23, 2013, 20:02)czkid Wrote:  Hi Korry, thanks for the reply. I will attach two in color for you to see. I'm having so much fun! Tell lme what you think. Pat Oh, I was standing in the muck and watching out for moccasins.................

Thank you Smile Even tho I often prefer black and white photos, I have to say that I like original way better than black and white version.

(Sep 25, 2013, 08:46)sdaupanner Wrote:  Is the camera a straight point and shot and if it is then you will not be able to override the settings but if you can take the camera off the auto setting and put it on the manual(m) setting then you can take control of just what the camera see and how it takes pictures. Set the Aperture to a higher number and it closes the amount of light that gets into the camera then let the shutter stay open a bit longer and the picture should be a bit sharper. I think that a lot of us use the software to make our pictures better but as I have said to others in the past the place to make the picture good or great is in the camera... What was it I read just a while ago " it is the 12 inches behind the camera that is the most important"
I came out of the film era and with the cost of film and developing it made people slow down and study what they were going to take a picture of the developing was free for me I owned a full dark room of equipment but this is the way that I still lock at it today. But anyway you will improve as time progresses and at least today it is free to mess up a few pictures it only cost you your time. Good luck and stay away from those snakes .....

Hi, thanks for the comments. Yes, I have a straight point and shoot with changing settings on like from easy to autofocus to landscape to, ad nauseum..........Anyway, I really need to get a camera that lets me change the apertures, etc., because I know what you mean. I would rather do it with the camera than in the software. Just because I said that doesn't mean I know how to operate one. It just means I understand and agree with you. Anyway, a large four foot female moccasin who had just eaten was killed right where I walk my dog in the woods. I have pics of her. It's mating season right now til middle of Oct. then, 30 mins later a big male was killed near her. it seems the females exude a strong pheromone and then wait for males to come to them. Scary.

(Sep 23, 2013, 02:51)czkid Wrote:  I like Gimp2, but it's hard to learn. My goal is to get Photoshop when I have $$$$. I hope I am posting this in the right place; I also am not well-versed in the social media and places to post responses. Please bear with me. I will sharpen it. I really prefer sharper pics. Again, I appreciate your time. I'm having lots of fun.

Oahhh I mistakenly take GIMP to be an extension file. Just recently found out that it is a free software the same as the photoshop uses.
Yeah I prefer the colored version. Gives more life to you setting of environment of image.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Sep 29, 2013, 17:02)PhotoPlay Wrote:  
(Sep 23, 2013, 02:51)czkid Wrote:  I like Gimp2, but it's hard to learn. My goal is to get Photoshop when I have $$$$. I hope I am posting this in the right place; I also am not well-versed in the social media and places to post responses. Please bear with me. I will sharpen it. I really prefer sharper pics. Again, I appreciate your time. I'm having lots of fun.

Oahhh I mistakenly take GIMP to be an extension file. Just recently found out that it is a free software the same as the photoshop uses.
Yeah I prefer the colored version. Gives more life to you setting of environment of image.
Thanks for your kind reply. I love this site. You all are so encouraging and so nice!!

hi loving the full colour shot , so much more to see, im sure u could use a clone tool from the reflection to correct the over exposed tree. such a shame. maybe try lifting some of the shadows in the trees just a bit to show some more detail. i use photoshop elements and these are simple corrections you could try.. lovely shot Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Aug 19, 2017, 03:37