Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I was going to wait but....

I did it i broke down and bought a new Canon 20d Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin.!!!!!!!!!! . I am sooooooo excited that i couldnt sleep . It should be here in a few more days . I got it with a Sigma 28-70 mm f2.8-4 lens .... and a Hitachi 4gb Microdrive card. I know that i have soooo much to learn about digital ( and photography ) but yall get ready for some mor stupid questions and getting loaded up with pictures LOL . I also got a extended warranty ( 3 years ) . and a few other things . Oh yea did i say YYYYAAAAAAAAAAA !!!! . i almost forgot to say i upgraded the battery too , and that will give me 2 batteries .

I know that there are better lenses out there but this is what i could afford at the time . I really want to know a few things before i get this camera .

#1 do i need a flash card or will the microdrive work ? and whats the difference LOL
is there a difference in brands too ?
#2 what is the difference in raw and jpeg , and why are people afraid of raw ? should i start in raw ? ( i know thats more than 1 question )

#3 is there anything that i need to know before i get started that i missed ?

Thanks for reading this and sharring my excitement ........... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Take it out of the box first. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

That is fantastic Shawn,

Microdrive will work fine - I used tha smae one in my 20D for ages without any problem. Hitachi are one of the best Microdrive manufacturers. The main difference is that a microdrive has a tiny hard drive in it (moving parts) and Compact Flash has no moving parts (basically just RAM). This means you shouldn't play soccer with the microdrive - they are pretty tough though. Of course compact flash is tougher Smile

Raw vrs Jpeg is a huge debate that can not be covered in a quick reply. Basically RAW is data unprocessed by the camera. You make the decisions after you load the picture on the computer (like what white balance, etc...) with no loss of quality. This power comes with a cost and that is the processing time it can take an older computer to do the task. It would not be uncommon for an older computer to take 10 seconds to open a RAW 20D file in the RAW converter and then take 30 seconds to process that into a Tiff or Jpeg. Of course you would leave the conversion to the end of your work flow and then batch over night.

Jpeg means the camera makes the decisions based on your initial input in the camera (for example - you choose the white balance the camera will use before you take the shot). Jpeg also compresses the picture by getting rid of data the human eye can not pick up. Everytime you copy a Jpeg file you lose data and quality - so always try to save the Jpeg at the highest setting (unless it is for Web use).

If you want to experiment try using the RAW plus Jpeg option in your new camera. That way you get a RAW file and a Jpeg file. It will use more memory - but at least you have both options available.

People don't like RAW because of the extra work involved and if you get the settings right in the camera the quality is not that different. As for me I always shoot RAW.

All the best with the 20D - it is a great camera.

Canon stuff.

Mate that's great news BD, congrats..........you are gonna love it!!

oh don't forget to change you signature...........hmmmm I need lots of lenses bad!!! Big Grin

Congrats Shawn, look forward to a deluge of pictures!

I am very happy for you Shawn... Smile It is a beautiful camera Smile

Congratulations!!

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks Yall,
Thanks for the info WS , you have cleared up a few things for me , i will do some reasearch ASAP.
i cant wait to get the thing , i am counting down the days and will be watching the tracking on it.

i like the new sig Russt , i think i might have to steal it from ya LOL .

....... Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Congrats Shawn! It's been a long time coming, but I think you deserve it! Big Grin

Excellent news, Drake - you deserve it. You will find it opens up new horizons for you. I'm a RAW guy myself - but jpegs work too - and are an easier workflow.

Thanks ST and Toad ,

Its a big step and just more learning for me Big Grin,. Cant wait ....

Been wondering where you were at Toad
........ Shawn

I was in France for 2 weeks - just got home last night.

Ooo.. welcome back Toad! How was the trip? Big Grin