Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

IR Lakeshore

A couple more from last saturday, shot in IR:

[Image: 348807162_yR2EN-L.jpg]

[Image: 348807773_cuwDU-L.jpg]

I've been working in IR a bit lately, both tripod-mounted and hand-held, but these fall somewhere in between with some improvised support. These were shot at 0.8s/f4 (surf) and 4s/f8 (tree) and both were at iso800.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Hello Mathew, it appears that Olympus has less strong IR filter over a sensor then D300. You have been able to use surprisingly short exposures. I like experimenting and I like some IRs, but these are not among my favourites among your photos.
Neither photo is very sharp and both appear granular (noise) in a way that I do not find atractive. The first photo does not strike me as a good candidate for IR, because the photo's tones are similar to those you can achieve with straight B&W conversion, except for the vegetation in deep background. I like the "mist", which is actualy a wave or collection of waves at slow shutter speed, but you could acjieve this effect without IR as well. Compositionally, I find the vertical logs dominate the photo and there is not enough context. I see this often among advanced photographers, as they try to focus viewer attention, but in my view they often overdo it and a wider view would have come out better. Finally, I find in both photos that foreground features are not sufficiently separated from the background and that they visually bleed int each other. This is in part due to small differences in contrast, grainines and low sharpness.
I like the second photo better, although the vignetting may have been overdone a bit, although I like the way it draws your attention to the atractive (lighter) center of the photo. The photo feels a bit like a japanese picture of apple blossoms. I would have prefered to see the leaves lighter. I do like the composition of thise photo, as the eyes move naturaly from the lower left to the center. I like the "empty" spaces on top and right, because they support the funnel-like feeling that draws your eyes to the center of the image.

I hope you will make some sense of this drible, written as thoughts occured to me. Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Pavel, thanks for the detailed and thought-out response.

To some extent every photo I take in IR is experimental, because I really have no clear idea of what the finished image will look like. The camera records a very narrow tonal range, so I'm not able to get much of an impression after taking the photo, and I can't see nearly well enough even with the live view cutting through the IR filter.

And you are really going to hate my next batch. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com