Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Introduction from New Member

Hello, Shuttertalk members! I'm looking forward to reading your posts and seeing your pictures.

I'm very much a senior, 78 now, retired court reporter and webmaster. Am a real novice, don't own a DSLR camera but do have a Fuji Fine Pix S4300 which is taking a long time to figure out, and it is a challenge! So much to learn about these digital images. Have to say that these cameras are a lot lighter to lug around than my old 35mm Zenit was.

Belong to a camera club at a seniors' centre, but find that the instructors, both professional photographers, gear almost all of their lessons to those with DSLRs and it's hard to get any real assistance from either of them. Hoping for some help here!

Spend a lot of time in the summer and fall up around Algonquin Park here in Ontario (Canada) and love to take photos of the fall colours and some of the resident water fowl.

This image was taken last fall from an island on Lake Kawawaymog, adjacent to the Park, and it turned out quite unintentionally to be almost identical to a painting by Tom Thompson, (one of the Group of Seven Canadian painters). The island I was on was about 1/4 mile from the island he stayed on before his untimely death. I don't have any information left as to what settings I was using, but it was fun to see it and compare it to the Thompson painting !

[Image: nightlightspagecropb.jpg]

Also attached is a photo of a young Mallard drake, still in his adolecent plumage, taken at the same lake, very early into the morning sweet time, and the lake was absolutely still.

It's a pleasure to be here.

Liz

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome Liz. Beautiful sky in first photo. With views like that no wonder you are enthused to pick up a camera again.

Liz,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for posting your photos! Nice job and we also look forward to seeing more from you! Make yourself at home here!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Aug 20, 2013, 10:04)Dean Wrote:  Welcome Liz. Beautiful sky in first photo. With views like that no wonder you are enthused to pick up a camera again.

Thanks for the welcome, Dean. The views around Algonquin and in the Almaguin Highlands are truly spectacular! Very fortunate to have a dear old friend who has a home on a one-acre island at Lake Kawawaymog, spend a lot of time with her, so don't have to travel far once up there, to find something worthy of photograph Smile

Liz

(Aug 20, 2013, 10:17)Barbara G. Wrote:  Liz,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for posting your photos! Nice job and we also look forward to seeing more from you! Make yourself at home here!

Thank you, Barbara - think I will be spending a lot of time here reading and admiring photographs.

Liz

Welcome LizBarnes to shuttertalk Smile I say your image is right on track. Little polishing with the setting on camera but definitely you have composition wise right on you. looking forward to see more of your images.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Aug 20, 2013, 18:48)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Welcome LizBarnes to shuttertalk Smile I say your image is right on track. Little polishing with the setting on camera but definitely you have composition wise right on you. looking forward to see more of your images.

Thanks for the welcome - most appreciated.

The camera settings are mind-boggling, and hope to get some hints and tips here, believe me.

Liz
Newmarket Cyber Seniors

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nia
Apr 3, 2019, 00:00