Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Iris

A friend of mine grows these beautiful flowers and entered this bloom in the local garden show and took out 1st place.

[Image: IMG_9712-copy12.jpg]

#2 Then I played with it in photoshop, just to soften it a bit...
[Image: IMG_9712-12blurcopy.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9708-copy12.jpg]

Comments welcome.

Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

Those are wonderful pictures Sharon...
Gorgeous light and detail... I like a lot the colors, very beautiful white... Smile

Wouldn't you mind to share your settings and light conditions?

I tried once to take a white tulip in black backgroud, turned out well but the white was not as yours. I would love to try again.. Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks Irma, I was surprised at how much detail was in these....

AE, Shutter 1/40, f5.6, ISO 100, 350D, Sigma 70-300mm@300mm macro,
Exposure Compensation -2/3, taken about 3.30pm

AE, Shutter 0.3, f22, ISO 100, 350D, Sigma 70-300mm @ 190mm,
Exposure Compensation -2/3, taken about 7.30am

The lighting is natural. We have a large sunroom with windows on 3 sides, I set up with the black backdrop (tshirt) about a foot behind the subject, but in front of the window. Then use the 300mm so I don't get close enough to cast a shadow and it blurs the background nicely. I don't have lights or a light box, so I try to make the most of what I've got....

Thanks again, Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

Beautiful shot! Wink

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

I like the first one best, the softening doesn't really add anything for me.

nice shots!

uli

Very beautiful and I also prefer the non softened one.

Canon stuff.

Nice, Sharon! Nice bit of thoughtful exposure comp; I wonder, with a zoom lens, if f.22 has been too soft? Dunno, difficult to say here....mind you, I do remember purposefully choosing a minute aperture just for this.
I prefer the vertical format: more graceful and with more movement somehow..yet I'm biased as I usually shoot everything vertically anyway.
Have you tried using the dodge tool, set to highlights, on bits that need to be better-lit? I've found this can give plant colours a bit of "shimmer" and a sense of the, er, praeter-natural...(I was just dying to use that word...)...

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Lucky you that you have that room Sharon... Wink

My home is fairly dark, with very small windows, that is why most of the times I use the studio light for my flower pictures.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
May 10, 2014, 04:04
Last Post by Janika
May 21, 2008, 19:57