Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Jocko's Photo Diary.

John, have you considered some of the other options that might get SWMBO on board. For example firstly, as your present kit has little monetary value, perhaps there is a family member or friend or local organisation to whom you could long-term loan or donate one of your D80s. Secondly, do you really need to set your sights so high? The Nikon D7000 is a highly rated body and it would set you back only half the cost of the D7200; its 16 megapixel sensor (also used by other manufacturers) has a great reputation regarding low noise/high ISO performance -
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/22
I have bought many items secondhand, but usually opt for a well known dealership which provides a good warranty. A quick web search shows, for example, that the London Camera Exchange group have a good selection of D7100s from which to choose, e.g. -
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Sea...Results=12

Cheers.
Philip

Error in last paragraph of Post #101 - it should, of course, refer to D7000

Philip

Philip. I am a bit wary of buying old technology. Sensors are progressing in leaps and bounds. I worry I may buy a D7000 and want to upgrade later. Having said that, a used D7000, with a VR lens, is very reasonably priced, and that would allow me to punt a D80 complete with existing, nor VR, lens.
If I buy a D7200 that should see me out. May need a VR lens sometime in the future, as the shaky hands get worse. Still, it is food for thought.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

When considering a possible upgrade, it is often a balance of want and need, and there is also an element of horses for courses - e.g. no-one has to buy new, or to spend much, to be able to drive swiftly, safely, and in comfort along British roads.

Anything from today will be old technology tomorrow, and there will always be something better coming around the corner. So I was responding, while trying to keep feet firmly grounded, to issues you hinted at earlier - principally ISO performance and cost of upgrading.

If funds are available, a VR lens on a D7000 body would be worthy of serious consideration. The combination would give a great leap forward in image quality when needing to use high ISO, plus the ability capture more light anyway, by using slower shutter speeds hand-held, as the stabilisation minimises motion blur.

Cheers.
Philip

The D7000 does make a lot of sense. And, by the time I have saved up the cash, I may find the D7100 is a viable purchase. After all, the prices are falling all the time. I told my better half about my research, regarding selling off some of what I have, and she agrees with my measure of the situation. Not worth the bother.
In the meantime, today, I purchased a Monopod. That should help me to avoid having to use the higher ISO settings, on my D80s.

Well, decision made. I am not going to replace my camera body. D80 it is and will remain. However, I have spent the evening researching lenses and have ordered myself a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Lens. The VR is advertised as giving an effect equivalent to 4 stops faster. That should negate my ISO doubts. Price less than £100.

And, a happy wife. Cheers Ed.

To each his own!

John, you should find that VR is a step forward in low light conditions by helping to keep the ISO lower. But don't let the lens upgrade or SWMBO stop you saving for a more recent Nikon body! Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Still going to save. By the time I get the necessaries together Nikon may have something even better available. Sensor technology is moving forward in leaps and bounds. The VR lens and the Monopod will take the pressure off for a time.

You guys have got my little grey cells working overtime.
Am I correct in thinking that in ' Low Light ' conditions, when shooting a ' Static Subject ', the only movement to worry about is camera movement ( shake ) and that a VR lens would take care of that. ?
On the other hand if shooting a ' Moving Subject ', which you wish to freeze, then VR will not do much other than steady the camera. Under these conditions a faster shutter speed and higher ISO, due to low light, would be required.
One final point. I never use VR with a Tripod. Would this also apply to a Monopod ?

There is, of course, The Nikon D500 now available !
Regards, Mile

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

I would say "Yes" to both questions. Having said that, I use my long lens, very occasionally, on the tripod and with the VR on. It is only in the past couple of days, since I started reading Robin Whalley's book, that I read you should switch the VR off. I have never had an issue.
With regard to moving subject and slow shutter speed you can, if appropriate, pan the camera.

(Feb 6, 2016, 08:18)Browser Mike Wrote:  I never use VR with a Tripod. Would this also apply to a Monopod ?

That would probably depend on how shaky you are, because a monopod is usually used by resting it on the ground, so it is only stabilising vertical movements. However, you are still hand-holding the camera, so it can still be affected by tiny pitch, roll, yaw, and vibrational motions.

Cheers.
Philip

Yet again, thanks for your guidance guys. I have never owned a Monopod but am tempted to invest in one if only to reduce the weight of my backpack. Any tips on what I should look for?. There appears to be a very wide price range. Is it simply a case of ' You get what you pay for ' ?
Regards, Mike.

Henri Cartier - Bresson.

The best material is probably carbon fibre, but which one to buy depends on the weight of the camera+lens that it has to support and how high it should be when extended. However, no advice from me because I bought the one of the cheapest! I just wanted to try one out and I wanted one that would fit in my shoulder bag, so I got the Manfrotto Compact (£19 on Amazon). It works for me and doubles up as a walking stick!

Cheers.
Philip

I bought the iGadgitz 170cm (70") 4 Section Extendable Aluminium Pole Monopod Leg Stand for Camera & Camcorder with Wrist Strap + Carry Bag. £14.69. It supports a camera up to 8 lbs in weight. I bought it here.

Thanks Philip and Jocko. I think I will follow your lead and go for something in the lower price bracket. I like the idea of something that could also be used as a walking stick. These days my ambulatory powers are not what they used to be.
Cheers, Mike.

Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Bought one of these for a Fiver, know the Hama rep, can't really comment on it, as I really have not used it yet. Still carry a chainpod in my bag! Ed.

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/hama-a...k-HAMA4103

To each his own!

Ed,
Education required. What is a chainpod?
Mike.

Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Johnsons of Hendon, long gone, marketed these in the 60'6, mine is homemade. Stand on the chain, pull up slightly, until you feel tension, bingo. Ed. See here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emgIGZG1z-A Ed.

To each his own!

To late to edit, this was taken using Chainpod. 1/4 Sec. 800 ISO. Ed

https://app.box.com/s/wltg9fudzox8b4ch6weujsp5e9sxbm6k

To each his own!

Marvelous image, Ed.

Thanks Ed. Fantastic photo.
Mike.

Henri Cartier - Bresson.

My Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II lens arrived this evening, and a quick check confirmed it works well and as it should. I took one, perfectly acceptable image, handheld, at 0.4 of a second. The VR certainly seems to work.
I forgot to include a lens hood with my order, so had to order one this evening. It will be here tomorrow. The Cokin 52mm ring I bought years ago fits this lens, so I will be able to use my Cokin Circular Polarizer with it.
Hopefully I will be able to get out tomorrow, and give it a try, but with Storm Imogen due to strike, I don't hold out a lot of hope!

Reading the Nikon lens manual and it says to switch the VR OFF when using a tripod, but ON when using a monopod. so there is the definitive answer.

Looking forward to results John. Tripod/Monopod, as I expected. Ed.

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59