Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jose Gonzalez at the Perth International Arts Festival

I had the best valentine's day ever last weekend when Tina took me to see Jose Gonzalez performing at the Perth International Arts Festival. I'm a huge fan of his, so I was really looking forward to it.

Needless to say the concert was every bit as amazing as I'd hoped for. Really memorable. And the night was a perfect balmy summer evening. But this is a photography forum, so I'm here to post photos. Tongue

It was dark (the concert started at 8:30pm) and these were shot with my 5D Mark II all hand-held at 3200iso with no flash. I restricted myself to taking just the 5D2 camera with a 24-105L IS zoom lens and a Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye lens and nothing else. Unfortunately in the darkness I didn't notice I had IS switched off on the 24-105 until half-way through the gig which ruined a few shots (my shutter speeds were around 1/20th sec at 105mm focal length, so IS was a necessity).

[Image: 474731513_UrZgc-L.jpg]
1. The stage was erected in parkland between the Perth CBD and Swan river. I underexposed this shot and had to bump it in PP which introduced a lot more noise. Sad

[Image: 474731668_Uoxw6-L.jpg]
2. This is how 3200iso should look when the shot is properly exposed. Smile

[Image: 474731466_F4ccH-L.jpg]
3. The entrance to the event was marked by two giant glow-sticks.

[Image: 474731533_CUK3f-L.jpg]

[Image: 474731486_hCAng-L.jpg]
5. The whole thing was very laid-back and chilled with lounge areas, sofas and walls featuring light murals.

[Image: 474731586_vzRbE-L.jpg]

[Image: 474731449_LBjxQ-L.jpg]

I'm still in that experimental novelty stage of using the Sigma 15mm fisheye lens, so you'll have to excuse it being over-used a bit here. A few of these fisheye shots could probably benefit from being de-fished to look more like regular wide-angle shots, but I'm really happy I bought this len. It is sooooo wide and optically really good for such a wide angle. The fisheye effect can be eliminated or adjusted in photoshop too, so it isn't just a one-trick pony. It does require a unique skill to get the most out of it though, so I've still got a lot to learn.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Great shots Adrian - hard to pick a favourite. I love my Canon 15 too.

Canon stuff.

Great texture, color and mood in these, love the series.

Great shots for a night photo shoot.
I know what hand held is from the HK sound and light show, although I used a litter bin as a tripod.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Nice shots Adrian, I also quite like chris's 15 fish Tongue

pendulum15 Wrote:Nice shots Adrian, I also quite like chris's 15 fish Tongue
Apologies about the thread hijack - Sarah and Michael loved the 15mm shots you took at the ceremony - well done.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Aug 16, 2013, 10:51
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 14, 2013, 07:47