Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just Joined

Hi everyone.

I am a casual photographer with more experience of real photography based upon film. Lately I have been using a small Nikon compact, which has proved to be an annoying due to the delay between locking the focus and the picture actually being taken. This has proved to be problematic in photographing babies.

Thinking of moving to a Canon EOS 700D, 70D or 7D Mk 1. Any comments on which to select would be most welcome.

(Nov 26, 2014, 14:24)LincolnshireDyke Wrote:  Hi everyone.

I am a casual photographer with more experience of real photography based upon film. Lately I have been using a small Nikon compact, which has proved to be an annoying due to the delay between locking the focus and the picture actually being taken. This has proved to be problematic in photographing babies.

Thinking of moving to a Canon EOS 700D, 70D or 7D Mk 1. Any comments on which to select would be most welcome.

Hi LincolnshireDyke! For what it's worth - I would say of the options you have offered the 7D would be my choice. I bought my partner one with the battery grip and a EF 24-105mm f4 L IS to go with it as her walkabout lens last Christmas. Very happy with it. Have a look in the Used sections of the London Camera Exchange on Silver Street in Lincoln - You may find you can have a good lens for less. Kind regards, Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Hello and welcome to the photography forums! It is nice to meet you and have you here as a member!

Make yourself right at home and feel free to join in on the conversations!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Nov 26, 2014, 15:52)Rolf Wrote:  

Hi LincolnshireDyke! For what it's worth - I would say of the options you have offered the 7D would be my choice. I bought my partner one with the battery grip and a EF 24-105mm f4 L IS to go with it as her walkabout lens last Christmas. Very happy with it. Have a look in the Used sections of the London Camera Exchange on Silver Street in Lincoln - You may find you can have a good lens for less. Kind regards, Rolf

Rolf
Thanks for the comment. I have only just considered the 7D following the large price drop after the introduction of the MK2 version. The 700 is newer than the 7 and both are 18.00 Mpixels and the 70 is 20.0 Mg Pixels and appears to be between the 7 and 700 in terms of specification. Both the 700 and 70 have the angled screen at the back, which the 7 does not. The 7 is much heavier and some years older, which is why I am debating. The problem is that I am several hours away from a good camera shop and would like to feel the cameras and not just buy on the internet.

For those who have Nikon I have found a problem with my pocket Nikon which was replicated by a professional photographer using a professional Nikon. During 2013 there was a particular shade of purple used for ladies dresses. Both Nikons replicated this colour as blue. My Sony smartphone replicated this colour as purple.

Regards,

(Nov 27, 2014, 09:35)LincolnshireDyke Wrote:  
(Nov 26, 2014, 15:52)Rolf Wrote:  

Hi LincolnshireDyke

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d

Rolf
Thanks for the comment. I have only just considered the 7D following the large price drop after the introduction of the MK2 version. The 700 is newer than the 7 and both are 18.00 Mpixels and the 70 is 20.0 Mg Pixels and appears to be between the 7 and 700 in terms of specification. Both the 700 and 70 have the angled screen at the back, which the 7 does not. The 7 is much heavier and some years older, which is why I am debating. The problem is that I am several hours away from a good camera shop and would like to feel the cameras and not just buy on the internet.

For those who have Nikon I have found a problem with my pocket Nikon which was replicated by a professional photographer using a professional Nikon. During 2013 there was a particular shade of purple used for ladies dresses. Both Nikons replicated this colour as blue. My Sony smartphone replicated this colour as purple.

Regards,

Hi LincolnshireDyke

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eo...rebel-t5i/

At the end of the day, it is a decision for you. I have read the specs on both cameras and would still opt for the 7D. If you read the reviews in the links above you may see that the 700 really is little more than it's predecessor and many say that it is not much better than the earlier incarnations. Yes it has a moveable screen... in my opinion that is a potential fail point - where connectors are subjected to a bending moment eventually fatigue will set in and they can break causing a loss of signal to the screen. It is useful for video - but if you want to video with a stills camera the GH3 is a far better bet or if you want Canon the 70D or the 5DMklll. The mag alloy body on the 7D is better than the SS, plastic and Fibre glass on the 700. Shooting speed is better by 3fps on the 7D and the view finder coverage and brightness is also bigger and better.
Anyway, good luck in choosing :-) never easy. If you can get to Lincoln try this link - http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Sea...Results=48 At least you can get hands on and the camera is way cheaper than new. Don't forget to give it a good testing in all modes before you buy... :-)

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Jul 31, 2015, 08:23
Last Post by beetleypete
Jul 29, 2015, 07:17
Last Post by Phil J
Jul 25, 2015, 18:22