Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just had Lunch.

Taken @ 13:19.03. Blustery day with direct sunlight. Captive bird, very nervous, unable to keep still. Post processed Lightroom CC. Suspect over sharpened ( halo on beak ).
Raw, AP, 1/1600 @ f/5, ISO 200, 135mm ( 35mm = 202mm )
Nikon D3300 + Tamron 70 - 300mm f4 - 5.6
Advice / Comments welcome.

Cheers, Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Excellent image. Love the background. There is a tiny little bit of bird showing on the bottom RH edge and the circle in the bottom RH corner could have done with more feathering, but I am just being picky.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Great potential Mike, seems over cooked a bit, to me, but have not seen the original. This is slightly different?? Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Yes, Mike - although I don't know what the bird is, or what it's supposed to look like, the image does look a bit overdone. Also, the histogram shows that the red channel is over-saturated - the graph for the red tones is piled up against the right-hand-side.

Cheers.
Philip

John T -- Well spotted. I missed that.

Ed and Philip -- Yes, you are both right. Must take more note of histograms. Do find however that Laptops are not exactly ideal. Will have to splash out one day and purchase a PC.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Mike.

Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Mike, I work with a laptop all the time - I like the fact that its battery is a built-in UPS (uninterruptible power supply), so there is no worry about losing one's work when there is a power-cut. However, when working at my desk, it is connected to a separate monitor to give a bigger image for photo-editing, together with a separate wireless keyboard and mouse, and a backup hard drive. A reasonably good monitor can be bought for around £100.

Cheers.
Philip

I have a BenQ 27" monitor connected to my laptop. Like Philip I too use a mouse (in my case USB - I find wireless has a slight delay) and I have a separate Hard drive as well. The monitor currently retails, through Amazon, for just under £160.

Again, to each his own!! I never look at a Histogram. Ed.

To each his own!

Philip, you have just saved the Children's inheritance. I had been thinking in terms of a PC when, in fact, what I required was a larger monitor.
Which brings something else to mind. I have a 37 inch Full HD TV monitor. There are now gadgets like Microsoft Mirrorcast that, by Wi-Fi, transfer the laptop/PC image to the TV. Have you, or anyone else out there, used this type of gizmo ?
Thanks Philip,
Mike.

John T, thanks for the Info. As you can see above, am now investigating options.

Ed, but you have the eye of a long standing Pro. Well ok, sometimes sitting. Lesser mortals, like me, need all the help that they can get.

Once again, thanks guys.
Live long and prosper.
Mike.

Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Mike, I have no knowledge or experience of those gadgets, but it might be important there to find out about any delay. I would guess that there is a huge amount of data to shift in transferring a changing image from computer to monitor, compared with transferring mouse clicks and movements - will a wireless connection keep up?

John, there is no discernible delay from my Logitech wireless mouse - it is instantly and finely controllable in selecting highly detailed shapes.

Ed, the histogram must be one of the most useful aids to exposure in the camera during image capture, and for image manipulation during post-processing, invented since the electronic lightmeter. But if you are happy not using it then, as you write, to each his own! Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Mike: Chromecast works with HD movies so photographic images shouldn't be a problem. What does the rest of the family watch while you are processing? Also, I have the telly on in one corner while I process in the other. Male version of multitasking.

Philip: It was a while ago when I last used a wireless mouse. I noticed the delay while playing games, not while working. I also found the mouse kept getting lost from the system. I would boot up and the computer couldn't see it. Also, the transceiver used a USB port so why not just plug the mouse straight in?

Ed: I find the Histogram an absolute necessity, both when taking photographs (maybe more so when shooting raw) and when processing them.

Mike, look at a smart TV, with built in Wi-Fi, the TV connects to your Router, so "speaks" to your Laptop. Have watched friend's laptop doing this with full HD. I have a Chromecast but never tried editing via it. Ed. (Living at the edge, no Histogram, no Card Formatting, etc).

To each his own!

All comments noted. Thanks Philip and John.

Ed, I do have a smart tv but it is not Wi-Fi enabled. The casting device would negate the need for cables.

John, I live on my own. Do what I like, when I like, how I like. Multitasking not required. http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...iggrin.gif

Cheers, Mike.

Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Freeman
Dec 11, 2014, 06:02
Last Post by Banded Drake
Jul 4, 2005, 12:26