Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lacock Abbey

I took this at Lacock Abbey Wiltshire England. 16mm, canon 70d, 1000 iso, 1/40 sec hand held. It was very dark so quite a lot of work has been done in photoshop. Question is colour or mono or maybe neither. Comments please.

[Image: IMG_0729lacockdoorcol_zpsca9e2290.jpg]
or
[Image: IMG_0729lacockdoormono_zps7bfb7725.jpg]
Thanks

The mono is a good conversion but my choice would be the colour photo - the different colour tones in the dilapidated building add a lot to the interest in the scene, and seem to enhance the feeling of being there and close to it. But this is, of course, just another person's view of the photo, as is the following:

Firstly, if it were mine, the image would be straightened, to make the left side of the large opening in the wall vertical. Secondly, you write that it was very dark, but I think you may have gone too far with brightening the image, almost as though the scene was lit by a single floodlight, and the darker corners of the vignette effect adds to that impression. So again, if it were mine, the image shown in Post#1 would be darkened while evening up the lighting, and also those nice colour tones would be slightly enhanced, to give something like this:

Cheers.
Philip

(Oct 26, 2014, 02:02)MrB Wrote:  The mono is a good conversion but my choice would be the colour photo - the different colour tones in the dilapidated building add a lot to the interest in the scene, and seem to enhance the feeling of being there and close to it. But this is, of course, just another person's view of the photo, as is the following:

Firstly, if it were mine, the image would be straightened, to make the left side of the large opening in the wall vertical. Secondly, you write that it was very dark, but I think you may have gone too far with brightening the image, almost as though the scene was lit by a single floodlight, and the darker corners of the vignette effect adds to that impression. So again, if it were mine, the image shown in Post#1 would be darkened while evening up the lighting, and also those nice colour tones would be slightly enhanced, to give something like this:
Thanks for the good observations. I had already straightened the verticals a lot but stopped because it cropped to close to the drinking sink to the left. I will certainly take your ideas on board. Thanks again.

Cheers.
Philip

(Oct 25, 2014, 14:10)webber Wrote:  I took this at Lacock Abbey Wiltshire England. 16mm, canon 70d, 1000 iso, 1/40 sec hand held. It was very dark so quite a lot of work has been done in photoshop. Question is colour or mono or maybe neither. Comments please.

or
Thanks

Hi Webber

My personal opinion is for the colour one. It shows you the different stonework and gives you a feeling of actually being there. The mono one makes you feel cold and damp and doesn't do justice to the stonework. Just my opinion.

Regards Snaphappy

(Oct 28, 2014, 06:19)snaphappy Wrote:  
(Oct 25, 2014, 14:10)webber Wrote:  I took this at Lacock Abbey Wiltshire England. 16mm, canon 70d, 1000 iso, 1/40 sec hand held. It was very dark so quite a lot of work has been done in photoshop. Question is colour or mono or maybe neither. Comments please.

or
Thanks

Hi Webber

My personal opinion is for the colour one. It shows you the different stonework and gives you a feeling of actually being there. The mono one makes you feel cold and damp and doesn't do justice to the stonework. Just my opinion.

Regards Snaphappy
Thanks for your opinion snaphappy.

Hi Webber,

Did you have the time to take a look around the 'Fox Talbot Museum' whilst you were there? It's well worth a visit.

Regards.

Phil.

(Nov 2, 2014, 09:39)Phil J Wrote:  Hi Webber,

Did you have the time to take a look around the 'Fox Talbot Museum' whilst you were there? It's well worth a visit.

Regards.

Phil.
Yes I'm a regular visitor, I only live 20 minutes away.

I used P/S to put a bit punch into it, perhaps a bit too much?? I like it. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Nov 2, 2014, 11:05)EdMak Wrote:  I used P/S to put a bit punch into it, perhaps a bit too much?? I like it. Ed.
Thanks Ed, your version does make it look a lot brighter than it actually was. It was actually very dark & cold with 2 stone coffins to the left out of shot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Aug 21, 2013, 01:46