Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lenses

Hi everyone.
After my introduction this is my first thread, well question and I'm sure there will be others from me. ok bare in mind I'm a complete novice could someone shed some light on lenses. With my Nikon D3200 I got a 18-55mm zoom lens, now that I've used it a couple of times I can see it doesn't zoom very much but its ok for now whilst I'm getting used to the camera. What other lenses should I be looking at as my next purchase. I've read a little about an 18-200m lens and a 50m, whats the difference between the two and which one would be best for taking pictures of animals on a safari or of the countryside or the birds in my garden.
Thanks
Warren

50mm is fixed, no zoom. 18-200mm zoom, or even 18-300mm zoom, would meet your requirements. I us a Tamron zoom, and very happy with it. Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 20, 2014, 13:21)redwazza Wrote:  Hi everyone.
After my introduction this is my first thread, well question and I'm sure there will be others from me. ok bare in mind I'm a complete novice could someone shed some light on lenses. With my Nikon D3200 I got a 18-55mm zoom lens, now that I've used it a couple of times I can see it doesn't zoom very much but its ok for now whilst I'm getting used to the camera. What other lenses should I be looking at as my next purchase. I've read a little about an 18-200m lens and a 50m, whats the difference between the two and which one would be best for taking pictures of animals on a safari or of the countryside or the birds in my garden.
Thanks
Warren

Hi i have a Nikon D700 and use the 28-300 find its good for most things also have the 50mm good for street photos and you can pick them up on ebay at a reasonable cost check out some of my pics on Flickr hope this helps

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27519825@N05/

Thanks for the replies ... since I have an 18-55mm lens then does that mean there is no point in me buying a 50mm fixed lens, will mine do the same job ? or does a 50mm have other benefits.

try looking at some of the reviews on line even the Amazon ones but a prime lense will always be better
check some of the DP reviews
http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/l...er-reviews
Hope this helps

For what you wish to do, a 50mm would be inappropriate to buy. My take. Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 20, 2014, 13:21)redwazza Wrote:  Hi everyone.
Thanks
Warren

Hi Warren and everyone,
I also use a Nikon D3200 and for your wildlife photography on a reasonable budget I would recommend a Nikon 70-300 4/5.6 lens. I find it gives good definition and contrast with accurate colours and with a 35mm equivalent focal length on your camera as 105 - 450mm with bonus of VR to help prevent camera shake at long end of the zoom.
The 18-200 is a good general purpose lens but there is a new Nikon 18-300 which could become a good all rounder and make it unnecessary
to change lenses and get dust on your sensor. The only down side to the new lens would be a slight loss of quality at the long end compared with say the 70-300.
Food for thought.
Cheers
twostroke47

A 50mm prime lens will be a little smaller and lighter than your standard zoom. It will produce much better quality images, and best of all yoyu will have a much wider aperture (f/1.8 or f1.4) these being 3-4 stops faster and will produce much better bokeh (out of focus high-lights)

Quality guys .... thanks for all your replies.

Hi guys .... sorry back on lenses again... I'm looking at the Nikon AF 70-300 lens as mentioned by twostroke47 in this post and they are coming up basically in two price brackets. Some are around £400 (pounds not sure what that is in dollars) and some are coming up around £100 .... are the ones at £100 some sort of copy made by an inferior brand but badged as Nikon or are they likely to be older lenses for SLR rather than DSLR cameras. Any ideas guys ?

Post Link/s to the lens/s. Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 29, 2014, 13:10)redwazza Wrote:  Hi guys .... sorry back on lenses again... I'm looking at the Nikon AF 70-300 lens as mentioned by twostroke47 in this post and they are coming up basically in two price brackets. Some are around £400 (pounds not sure what that is in dollars) and some are coming up around £100 .... are the ones at £100 some sort of copy made by an inferior brand but badged as Nikon or are they likely to be older lenses for SLR rather than DSLR cameras. Any ideas guys ?

I would recommend looking at the sigma 18-250mm lens. Can get one for around
230 quid from slrhut on the internet. Great all round lens. Very happy with mine.
Also consider getting yourself a nikon 35mm 1.8g prime lens. Love using this lens.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post