Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lily on her cat tree.

Here is an image of Lily climbing on her cat tree. It was an opportune photograph, taken with the on-board flash, of a very contrasty subject. Short of taking another under better circumstances, which obviously I cannot, how would you improve it?

Nikon D80, Auto mode, on-board flash, 1/60 sec, f5.6, ISO 100, 18-55mm lens, 82mm lens equivalent, raw conversion using PS CS4 then processed using Nik Software.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

John, this does look well over-cooked - I would have thought that the on-board flash would have balanced the exposure more effectively. Has the Nik software helped at all? The image is so bright that it seems to have washed out much of the colour.

I would play around with brightness, contrast and saturation - both overall and selectively, and with shadows, mid-tones and highlights - to try to reduce that disconcerting glare and give a more comfortable-to-view image.

In viewing this attachment, bear in mind that it was developed from the image in Post #1 and, of course, I have no idea what the colours should look like.

Cheers.
Philip

To try and get a more life like rendition of Lily I used several images in HDR. The original image, done in my usual manner is attached.

What is the original like. Have you considered it as an upright. Health getting to normal? Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Here is a portrait crop of my first posted image, with no sharpening on my part. I'll leave it and see what sharpening Shuttertalk adds.

Ed. I am back to full health. The surgeon says I can go back to doing everything I was doing before the op. So plenty sitting on my a**e then.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Nov 23, 2014, 07:46
Last Post by EdMak
Nov 18, 2013, 14:43
Last Post by kNox
Nov 13, 2012, 04:44