Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Machu Picchu

Hi everyone

How would you view and treat this typical shot of Machu Picchu?

(Taken with Pentax K5-11 Jan 14)

Your comments valued...

Regards all

Jeff

(Nov 4, 2014, 04:19)Freeman Wrote:  Hi everyone

Your comments valued...

Regards all

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

(Nov 4, 2014, 04:28)Freeman Wrote:  
(Nov 4, 2014, 04:19)Freeman Wrote:  Hi everyone

Your comments valued...

Regards all

Jeff
Great shot Jeff but I'm a sucker for monochrome so how about this.
I removed people, and used levels & curves to accentuate the mountain & darken foreground.

[Image: MachuPicchumainsiteresize2_zps43aa65a0.jpg]

Obviously, not being there at the time makes comment merely opinion, Jeff. However, as you asked I would view this image overall as being rather too cool, i.e. too strong in the tones towards the blue end of the spectrum. As to how it should be treated, that is also difficult, because the image appears already to have been processed quite a lot, particularly the sky.

Edit: Just seen the mono above, and that does work well to bring out the tones and textures. However, not Webber's fault, but it does also emphasise the over-processed sky.

Cheers.
Philip

Post the original? Ed.

To each his own!

Hi all

Thanks for your comments. I thought the mono version excellent treatment! Thanks, Webber. I wondered about taking out the people but didn't consider mono. Sometimes I think including people gives perspective. However I cropped the shot to take out people in the foreground and that seemed to work fine. Overall, I wanted to show something of the rather intense atmosphere up there where clouds rule a lot of the time.

I agree with Philip entirely - I was in fact rescuing a poor shot here (Ed: the original I fear is unworthy of sharing with blur and blow out) but I over reduced exposure on the sky, over sharpened and so forth. Your comments helped me a lot to see the picture a different way (and train my critical eye), not least the cool blue effect, though that is I think a cast in the original which I failed to really identify and address.

Nevertheless I was pleased with the result compared with the original and will likely have another go with this shot or other similar shots in Peru. I'm still going slowly through them.

Any more thoughts highly welcome. Cheers. Jeff