Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Macquarie Harbour - Tassie's West Coast

I spent some time recently back in Tasmania with my family.
Although most of the time was spent doing things of a non-photography nature, I did get a chance to get away for a weekend to the West Coast with Tina which was wonderful.

We went on a cruise around Macquarie Harbour and up the Gordon River, also stopping on Sarah Island to wander through the remains of one of Australia's earliest, most remote and harshest penal settlements.

[Image: 282278193_GTMy7-L.jpg]
1. The entrance to Macquarie Harbour is called Hell's Gates. Although the harbour entrance is very wide, most of it is shallow and too dangerous for ships. A pair of lighthouses just 30m apart mark the only safe channel into the huge harbour.

[Image: 282278372_DKLp7-L.jpg]
2. A close up of one of the lighthouses at Hell's Gates. The little island it is stationed on is called Entrance Island.

[Image: 282278558_qPE9B-L.jpg]
3. The infamous Sarah Island. Probably best known for some of the grisly tales featured in Marcus Clarke's book "For The Term of His Natural Life".

[Image: 282281543_3cWWK-L.jpg]
4. The town located in Macquarie Harbour is called Strahn (pronounced "Strawn"). It has a reputation for delivering some of the best Salmon, Ocean Trout and Crayfish in the world.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Wow! #1 and #3 amazing. Great stuff! Wonderful light and processing!

Tiny Quibble: I know I am going to sound like Petographer when I say this - but #2 feels to me like it has a slightly crooked horizon - I might be wrong - seascapes are notoriously hard to judge - especially when there is fog on the horizon (sorry for quibbling)..

lovely colors and texture!
I like no2 for the texture in the rocks and the flaking painting of the lighthouse.
the slight slide in the horizon didn't occur to me at first, as the rocks in the front are aligned with the bottom edge.

uli

Great shots Adrian! Taken at dawn, if i'm not mistaken? My favourite is 3, with the soft light on the mountains in the background. I have to say though I think 2 is a little slanted too, sorry.

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

#1 is my fav... all shots are great!

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 1Peter 1:16

Thanks for your comments Big Grin

Oops! You're right! How did that crooked horizon sneak in there? Rolleyes

The shots are taken at dusk (I don't "do" dawns Big Grin). We went through Hell's Gates twice (out and then back into the harbour), and here is another photo of the same lighthouse a bit earlier when the light was different. The sea-spray enveloping the coast in the distance (Ocean Beach) was quite spectacular, although the harbour itself remained very calm.

[Image: 282605870_VstJt-L.jpg]

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

When I looked at the last picture, and compared with the series you posted first reminded me that tutorial in luminos landscape when they show two photographs of a house in field. One taken few minuts later and the different was awesome, as the only place lit by the sun was the house.

All are great and each one something to admire.... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

All beautiful Kombi - but something about number 4 grabs me. Maybe it is because of my own time spent in Strahn.

Canon stuff.

Beautiful! Looks like a magical place.

#2 is my favourite, love that you can see how old the lighthouse is.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

#3 almost looks like an oil painting. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

The first and the latest addition are by far my favourites. I'm not normally a fan of lighthouses, but I like these photos.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Mar 25, 2015, 11:01
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Aug 29, 2014, 11:16